Got SpooM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That page makes it look like each wheel is $1700.

<_<

I can't believe what I am reading on this post. Spoon didn't copy some fucking rota design, it's the other way around. Rota saw an market for Spoon like rims but without the price tag, why?? you ask. Well simply because and frankly I fell the same way is that spoon products are priced at a premium, they are light as fuck"hence the name SW388's - - they weigh in at 3.88kg's" and they are used for their effectiveness and not for style. Spoon doens't make 18 wheels that weigh 45+lbs. Their products are tru tested and used on their own rides in circuit.

When people price products at a premium consumers automatically sense that they "have" to be getting quality and I feel this is the tru push of the jdm craze/market/or whatever you want to call it. You will pay a premium for quality, engineering, and craftsmanship from japan. This is the essential core of what you believe your getting when purchasing products from japan, it's a direct association. Shipped is also a added $$ with the product.

Centercaps are for looks, they don't serve a function in the world of auto racing. Me personally I wouldn't buy the rota's or the rims displayed on this topic. Why, well because I am concerned about the weight and diameter of the rim, not if it looks kinda like the Spoon rims, but for some of you out there I understand your in it for the looks which is all good but it's just not me.

Milan

well, i never said rota copied spoon, i just said rota made those rims alot more well known out here than spoon, did.also for the saving u get off of buying rota over spoon, rota = 11.7 lbs, spoon is 3.88 kg., thats pretty close. for money concious people, the rota is just a better choice due to money. the SpooM's on the other hand is just a lame .

I cannot believe they just did that! What is the world coming to...spooM wheels? They could have at least thought of a unique name. :doh:

3.88 kilograms = 8.55393577336 lbs to be exact. And for ultimate enthusiast that is a big difference. For cost sensitive peeps, well, all I can say is -- hard to do in this sport. Although you can figure out the dollar per hp ratio of parts though, or atleast get a general jists of it. I used Kosei K1's for a while in black, they were pretty nice considering I traded some idiot for used GSR blade rims I had sitting around....hehehe.

I will be ordering very similar rims soon to the spoon units, actually they are the same rim, just not black, Regamaster's hummy, and in oem rim color.

Milan

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Jun 27 2003, 01:58 PM
well, i never said rota copied spoon, i just said rota made those rims alot more well known out here than spoon, did.

the only reason WHY people buy rota's is due to the fact that they pawn them off as Spoon, racing hart, etc etc at a third of the price.

People will associate Spoon with honda's a lot faster than they will with rota, since, rota's were first brought onto the scene for miata's....and then they started the slipstream fad

Just a little FYI, the wheels in the top post are not Rota, those are Exel or some brand like that.

well you know what im damn happy i have some rota slip streams. yeah i could have spent a crap load of money but why for a street driven car, the damn spoon wheels will bend and get messed up daily driven so why bother for 12lbs total savings unless your car is only track driven. my rotas 450 = :D spoon 2k = :( when they cant hold air anymore

I understand your reasoning, but I am a big stickler for weight savings. They might develop stress cracks aftera year or so of use but that is something that I am willing to consider for building a all motor street demon. The faster you go the more shit you break. If i need to get a new set every year or so then let it be. Maybe an alternative could be to get two spoon rims on the front and two slipstreams in the rear.

Milan

those wheels are very old. i remember going into a wheel shop a few years ago and seeing that it was pretty funny cause at first we didnt even realize that it had said spooM then we had a good laugh

Back