Got the 6psi Actuator installed!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
WELL!

I got my 6psi actuator from ATP on Friday. I installed it immediately when I got home from work, I was just a lil bit excited :p

It didnt work :cry: The car was still boosting to 12-14psi. SO, I called them up to make sure I got the right part. The guy on the phone verified the part # with me and said the actuator is def. the right one. My buddy with the Turbo Colt showed up right after and we started to disect this thing again. We made a lil device to pressure check the actuator and even had a lil gauge on it. This way we could verify at what pressure the wastegate opens.

At 6psi, the ATP actuator barely opened up. It took almost 18psi to fully extend the actuator rod!!! No way thats a 6psi actuator!!!

I was desperate at this point, I started to tear apart the Matrix. It was a sad moment of desperation, but HAD to be done. We tested it before we removed it, and sure enough it FULLY extended by 8psi.

I installed it in the Accord and again checked it with our testing device. It worked like a champ still, opening far at 6psi and fully open by 8-9 psi. I again took the car for a ride, sure enough it boosted up to 12-14psi again!!! WTF!!!!!!

Now we started to get into the super desperate zone. I made a spring setup that would go over the actuator rod and then placed a large washer before the adjuster nut on the end of the rod. This way there would be a spring assisted opening making the flapper open super fast. I was able to get the rod fully extended by 6-7psi this time. STILL DIDN'T WORK, STILL GOT 12-14PSI!!!!!!!!

Now I'm at a loss, all I have is theories. I'm thinking that since this turbo is made to operate in the 15-17psi range, that the flapper opening diameter isn't large enough to bleed off enough boost to make only 6psi.

I have to buy another manifold with an external wastegate so I can get a 44mm flapper. The Mitsu flapper on my EVO3 turbo is either a 28 or 32mm flapper. Hopefully the 10-12mm larger flapper will allow enough pressure to be bled off an regulate this turbo down to the ideal 6-8psi.

dnp55_2.JPG

Just sucks I gotta dump some money into the project this late in the game. The whole beauty of this project was how cheap everything was. BUT, now I'm into the project and want to see it go the distance, so I'll be buying the right parts soon.

something must be up with the turbo....

if you do go for an external setup, you don't need anything bigger than a 38mm. that will support a 350+ hp motor all day.

The power level wasnt what I was concerned with, its the ability to bleed off enough boost to lower to 6psi.

Does what I wrote sound crazy for the flapper opening being too small to get the boost low enough?

Edit:
One good thing came from this project, since every single part gave me a hard time either installing or working, I now know how every single part works exactly. :laugh:

yeah, i don't think the turbo is big enough where you will run into the problem of not being able to bleed it off fast enough.

Back