got the motor in but clutch wont disangage

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

joesefcivic

ok we finally got my motor in my car got it all done and started up. after two turns of the key it started right up. ran awsome. no smoke no nothing thing runs like a champ. well while it was in the air we decided to see if it would go into gear. well 1, 2 went in fine. but 3 was a little rough. but for some reason the clutch will not disangage. while the car is in the neutral position the wheels will just spin. and if i hit the brake with the clutch pedal up the car will stall out. so what should i do. i have one week before i need to have the car up and running well.

could it be the clutch assembly in wrong.
the clutch cable is the wrong one.
the linkage is messed up.

or what do you think. im not sure, but i would like to drive it this week. if any one can help that would be great. thanks

sounds like bad tranny or you hooked up the shift linkage wrong. broken clutch shouldnt go into ANY gear homie. check the clutch fork for 1"-2" of movement when clutch pedal is depressed. thats all thats needed.

I had that problem just recently....it was actually something stupid too. Everything was hooked up right and I double checked everything to make sure it was the right part. Mine wouldn't disengage. I finally took the tranny out and took it into the house where I could look at it better. I noticed that the clutch lever would not come up all the way. And when I was looking at it the spot where the lever it bolted into the tranny is round and when the lever comes up it hits the tranny...turns out the lever was bent in a very small amount and just needed to be bent back out!!! hope this helps

I had to cut and reweld my clutch bracket to a lower position to get mine
to disengage. The clutch cable was so tight it wouldn't disengage.
I posted a photo of my bracket. See Album #953. It lowers the flange 1" from
where it started. It was just cut and reweld. Works well.

Ralph

ok thanks every one for the help! the guy that helped me do the swap is now telling me that i have to pay another 150 bucks to drop the tranny. so i guess i got to fork out the money to get it done. and thats with me helping them! so im kinda pissed about that too!

is the fork moving when you press the clutch?

maybe you need to look at the cable? or the slave cylinder...

check the simple things first...

well thats what i plane on doing tonight to see if its just somehting dumb and make sure it not the clutch first. that way i dont have to drop the tranny

Originally posted by joesefcivic@Mar 10 2004, 08:34 AM
well 1, 2 went in fine. but 3 was a little rough. but for some reason the clutch will not disangage. while the car is in the neutral position the wheels will just spin. and if i hit the brake with the clutch pedal up the car will stall out.

some times the wheels still spin when theres no force on them(in the air) i belive its normal, now you say when you have it in neutral and push the brake the car stalls(explane further)? also try to ajust the clutch cable.

e-mail me and ill try to help you out. crx_dx@hotmail.com

-joseph

well i push the brake when the stick is in the nutural position and it stalls. meaning that it is not disangaging. so that could mean that the disc is in back wards. and the cable is adjusted all the way up so i dont think its that. because it should disangage then. not sure we are going to take the tranny off today and see what the fuck is up!

thanks for everyones help though!

if you put the disc in backwards i dont think you can even put the pressure plate on, it would be hitting the flywheel bolts, did you make your shiftlinkage or did you buy it?

Your disk isn't in backwards.

Put it in neutral.
Check that it is in neutral by climbing under
and checking to make sure your linkage is in the mid position.
Disconnect the clutch cable.

You will still have to push on the clutch to
depress the clutch interlock switch.
Start it.
If it starts and your problem is gone, you have
a clutch cable adjustment problem.

Ralph

mine was doing this the other day, it wouldnt go into any gears. so i took it to my mechanic, he took my tranny apart. turns out one of my bolts on my flywheel backed itself out and was hitting the clutch. thats why i couldnt shift into any gears.

yah well a hydro clutch doesnt fit on a cable tranny. i had to find that out the hard way! lol

all well shes running now!

Back