Gotta have what no one has.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fu*ker...hurry up and copy then and get them back too me....

Oh, I'll just make a copy and bring back the originals.

the 7 project is about 8 on my list of "must do"

"I have an S2000 just hanging around. Wanna build something with it?"

s2k-vtec.jpg

Those cam gears are cross cut ?! Won't the belt just pop right off ?!

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the S2000's valvetrain is chain-driven.

If it's rotating clockwise, they'd push the belt out, but I'm sure it would have an idler/retainer to prevent that from happening. Ask Calesta, maybe it rotates the other way and keeps the belt pushed in. Maybe it has no effect whatsoever?

hondanews.com said:
The S2000 engine's dual overhead camshafts feature a space-efficient cam-drive consisting of a crankshaft-driven, silent-chain primary drive and a geared-secondary drive. The chain, along with a chain guide and an automatic tensioner, is located in an enclosed gallery at the front of the engine block.
The primary chain turns an idler gear at its upper end, which drives the second stage-the intake and exhaust camshaft gears. The camshaft gears are smaller in diameter than conventional toothed sprockets, which allow the camshafts to be placed closer together, further saving space. Geared drives are widely used in racing engines because of their dependability and greater timing accuracy at high rpm.
Each camshaft gear is a split (scissors) type, consisting of two concentric, spring-loaded gears, set at a slight angle from each other. When engaging the teeth of the idler gear, the spring-loaded split teeth of the cam gear take up any backlash, ensuring smooth and quiet operation.

Interesting.

So the timing chain goes from the crank gear to a single sprocket that both cam gears ride on. Cooool. (Looks like you can see the chain in the pic)

Back