Grammar lesson of the day: seen vs saw

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dude i did a google search on my name and found like 20 people.... that arnt me

That's really weird man. I mean it's not like there's nearly 7 billion people on this planet. The odds that at least 20 other people have the same name as you have to be astronomical...

Austin Chamness not a very common name, ever heard it before. Bet not

Did you see the new batman movie?

I saw it yesterday.

I have seen it before.

They both mean to see, they're both past tense. It just matters what you're talking about.

Right, the problem is that most people, yourself included, write "I seen it before" without the have. I want to punch hillbillies everytime i hear that.

I don't recall ever typing "I seen..." without the "I've" or "I have" before, but if I have, I beg your pardon oh King of the English language. :ph34r:

Honestly, I don't care how people write things, or say things, it gets the point across. Now if we could just get you to work on your spelling. :)

Does it make it acceptable if I add "done" before seen instead of "have"?

"I done seen that movie."

Listen, fucknugget,

"seen" is american english. "Saw" is queen's english. Like "Purchase" and "Bought". Bought is appropriate in the Queens English. The funny thing about queens English, as well as all of England, is that whatever the queen says becomes appropriate Queens English. If the Queen says "Ain't" then it's a word in the Queens English. If the Queen speaks Oxford English, then the two are similar. (Not "Same" because that's Queen's English). I'm not sure if this is always true, but english spoken outside of Oxford guidelines is Hackneyed. northern English is completely cryptic.

American English for the win. We utilise (See that "S"? That's Oxford English) "Purchased" instead of "Bought" and substitute some form of "Done got gripped" for the Oxford word "Purchase". If I fall off the cliff (or Dale) and grab (Or reach out for) a Branch (Or limb), then fall I have lost Purchase on said Limb. Also I have fallen from Heath onto Ye Olde Vale.

I personally like hooligan English(like the speech patterns from Green Street Hooligans). Of course I pretty much speak an American version of it.I can't tell you how often I say something to someone not in my general circle and just get a, "Huh?" then I have to explain myself.

Are you talking about something like jive? Or more colloquialisms?
Sort of both. I've gotten the "I understood all the words you said, but have no idea what your talking about".

I like listening to people from the deep south talk. They come out with the weirdest shit, especially the older folks. Between what they say and how they say it, it's entertaining.

im not going to lie, i use seen in the incorrect way....

i talk pretty country, the guys i work think its funny. when i used to live in GA i didnt even think i had much of accent. shit i moved to the city here in south fl and theres yankee speak everywhere!! i know correct grammar and for the most part i use it when i write or type, it just doesnt really come out when i talk :D

I personally like hooligan English(like the speech patterns from Green Street Hooligans). Of course I pretty much speak an American version of it.I can't tell you how often I say something to someone not in my general circle and just get a, "Huh?" then I have to explain myself.

GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS!:cool:

funny enough,
since this thread has been up, i have allready seen someone on HS being told to visit this lesson because they have some serious grammar issues. maybe we can crucify him...
ORIGINAL QUOTE:
Originally Posted by faithster
i just seen a guy driving a civic on 22's
RESPONCE:
Originally Posted by awptickes
Grammar lesson of the day: seen vs saw

Please read it. If you can't, have someone read it to you.

and yes i know the thread is kinda old.

Back