graphics card???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
Hey i just bought doom 3 and i tried playing it and it seems to skip and lag alot. But my graphics card is one of the ones that they recommend for the game. I have a nvidia fx 5200 series and it is 64 megs. Could that be the problem? do i have to upgrade? i really dont want to the game isnt that important to me. But wahat else could it be. I reformatted my harddrive today due to some problems i am having lagging normally now it is doing it in the game. Cal, b, anyone wanna help me out?

edit : i looked at the post about the half life but i think i have a different problem :unsure:

Doom3 Lags on my dual Xeon system with a 1 gig ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128. Don't worry, its normal. Now that card is WAY too slow for the game, you should look into a Radeon 9800 PRo 256 (NOT XT) and then bios flash it to XT specs. Only $200 for the fastest AGP card out there.

i dont like radeon's. harder to overclock then geforce's.my buddy has that same card ktanka mentioned, and mine out performs his.. it's all about the benchmarks.(and mine was about $50 cheaper) i'd just use a program to overclock it, rather then go into your bios. to many potential problems with messing with your bios.

i have an nvidia geforce fx 5900 xt 128mb ram and it runs perfectly!(coupled with my amd 2400+ processor, and 1 gb of ram. i shall soon be getting a 2500+ and overclocking it to 3.0-3.2 gigs :))

I just bought the Radeon 9800 PRo 256 and i play Everquest with all 8 expansions i also have a amd sempron 2500 and 1 gig pc21000......

My old system was an Amd athlon 1800 with 1 gig ram and a geforce mx 400 64mb.....i could barely play the game...Now with Graphics card and newboard and processor its 100000 times better...the Card rocks

the req's for doom 3 are insane.

if you don't have 2gb of ram, 3+ ghz processor, or 256 pci-E nvidia graphics card, its going to look choppy. end of story.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 1 2004, 11:42 AM

if you don't have 2gb of ram, 3+ ghz processor, or 256 pci-E nvidia graphics card, its going to look choppy. end of story.
[post=424493]Quoted post[/post]​

because i bet doom got sponsered to make a game that required every one to upgrade lol! bet same thing happens when halo 2 comes to pc

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 1 2004, 08:42 AM

Then how is it that I run it just fine on my 2500+, 512MB RAM, and 9800XT? :p

Originally posted by b204dr@Dec 1 2004, 09:45 AM
bet same thing happens when halo 2 comes to pc
[post=424496]Quoted post[/post]​

I doubt it. Halo 1 runs just fine on a standard PC, and both it and Halo 2 are designed to run on the exact same hardware- the XBox. You don't see a ton of people upgrading their XBoxes for Halo 2 do you? Unless M$ decides to run a crazy level of detail in the PC version of Halo 2 compared to the XBox, it will run just as well on a PC as the original Halo.

Originally posted by Calesta+Dec 1 2004, 01:49 PM-->
@Dec 1 2004, 09:45 AM
bet same thing happens when halo 2 comes to pc
[post=424496]Quoted post[/post]​

I doubt it. Halo 1 runs just fine on a standard PC, and both it and Halo 2 are designed to run on the exact same hardware- the XBox. You don't see a ton of people upgrading their XBoxes for Halo 2 do you? Unless M$ decides to run a crazy level of detail in the PC version of Halo 2 compared to the XBox, it will run just as well on a PC as the original Halo.
[post=424629]Quoted post[/post]​

This makes perfect sense. I'd be surprised if they released a PC version at all, though, because the PC version of Halo 1 did so badly. Of course, they could have stood to make it a little fuckin SOONER.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 1 2004, 11:42 AM

I have a 3.06 pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading, nvidia geforce fx go 5200 graphics card and 512 mb ram.

halo actually kills a lot of midrange pc's. the resolution could go over 2048 compared to xbox's 640, there were a lot more large maps made for it, and the details were quite a bit better.
of course, if you kill the res down to 640 (unplayable by my standards), it runs a lot better.
main thing was, halo wasn't optimized for pc.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic+Dec 1 2004, 02:21 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Dec 1 2004, 11:42 AM

if you don't have 2gb of ram, 3+ ghz processor, or 256 pci-E nvidia graphics card, its going to look choppy.  end of story.

I have a 3.06 pentium 4 processor with hyperthreading, nvidia geforce fx go 5200 graphics card and 512 mb ram.
[post=424643]Quoted post[/post]​

GeForce FX 5200s are worse than GeForce 4 Ti series. Another one of Nvidia's little games.

Rule #2: Never buy a laptop for any purpose except for work/travel situations. (in which case it is usually free) :)

I hade that game too. But im running a dual P3 1.2 system with a ATI 9800se it ate that game up and then some!

Back