greatest b-day ever

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

frodotoolbox

92 civic si d15b
so i was bringing my girlfriend home and i went around this sharp (but not to sharp corner), oh and did i mintion it has been raining all day, and as i go around this bend a wave of water engulfs my car, so naturally not hinking to turn it off right away, which would not have helped any way, i threw it in reverse and tried to back the hell out before anything happens. but while it was going into reverse the del sol sputters and dies. so i sit there hopeing and praying i did not just hydro lock my engine. but of wait i did so i have to push my car with my girlfriend in it about half a mile back to my house and wish myself a happy fucking b-day. so no more honda for jamie how awesome.

honda civic del sol 1995-2008 R.I.P:(

should've turned it off right away. how do you know for sure its hydrolocked?

me and my bro jus tried to pop start it and turning it over by hand and it wont move an inch
and i have no money for a new motor i didnt even have money for a rebuild kit before it hydrolocked

remove the spark plugs, then crank the motor, so the water shoots out (beware of gasoline discharge). then clean/replace the plugs, try to crank it and hope for the best.

^^ yup. Its possible that it slowed enough with the sputtering that when it did lock up, it didn't do much damage.

Its a free try, anyway.

Yeah I have had this happen to me before too. I just took my plugs out and turned it over like mentioned in the post above. Mine worked just fine after but I got rid of my cold air intake lol (was on a 2004 Sentra Spec-V)

Oh, and turn it over by hand the first few times, if there is alot of water in the cylinders just turning it over at full speed can cause damage.

If you have a shop-vac and a piece of hose small enough to go down into cylinders and suck the water out, that is even better.

Also, after you get it to fire on its own, shut it off and change the oil immediately. Some of that water will have leaked down into the engine. Start it up, drive it around for 20-30 minutes, park it, and change the oil again. Very soon after shutting it down. This should get enough water out that evaporation will take care of the rest.

ANy hole in the block, when I hydroloced the crx I had 4 holes in the block

no holes i dont think and my uncle too a look at it today and he said i probly snapped the crankshaft or something like that.

Naa, a rod would have gone way before the crank shaft.

Pull your plugs, get a flashlight, and look. Rotate the motor, see if any of the pistons aren't moving. If you can't see, put a long rod down the spark plug hole and see if they are moving that way.

Don't throw in the towel on this motor until you're certain it really did damage. You could be perfectly fine.

If you really want to take a look, pull off your oil pan, you can see all the rods and pistons just from taking the pan off. Take a look up inside and see if you can spot any damage. Check your oil for antifreeze and check your antifreeze for oil. Even then, the pressure of the water could have blown the head gasket and you could be back on the road for a hundred bucks and some elbow grease.

But first things first, pull the plugs, drain and dry any water inside, and see if she'll start!

Last edited:
alright I'll probly do that as soon as I have time thank you for the help

pop starting a motor full of water is bad mkay
even the starter has enough torque to bend a rod, i've seen it happen to a motor with a faulty injector that just filled up the cylinder, the rod looked like an S - just from the starter

a bad motor is no reason to give up on a car

A motor is like the heart of a car. Just because you got a bum ticker doesn't mean you can't get a transplant.

if I can get another car without having to sell this as a roller then I'm going to make it a track car or get crazy and throw the 13b that my friend has lying around his garage in it. (he has all the drive train also)

Back