greatest military histories ever written

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HownDah

Quantum Emperor
1)Xenophon's Anabasis (Ἀνάβασις)

2)Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War (Commentarii de Bello Gallico)

3)Dodge's Hannibal: A History of the Art of War Among the Carthaginians and Romans Down to the Battle of Pydna, 168 B.C., with a Detailed Account of the Second Punic War ...

honorable mention:

Asterix or The Adventures of Asterix (Astérix or Astérix le Gaulois)

These are my top 3 (plus Asterix) (lmao)

I've read Anabasis many times and never tire of it. Admirers of the great Spartan general Λεωνίδας (Leonidas) won't want to miss this one.

Holy left field Batman

I almost bought Caesar's Commentaries last winter. I am writing my thesis ATM but when I finish it I hope to read it. Check out the collections of General Patton's maxims, there are several books. Its light reading but a lot of fun.

fav patton quote, The Duellists

Holy left field Batman

I almost bought Caesar's Commentaries last winter. I am writing my thesis ATM but when I finish it I hope to read it. Check out the collections of General Patton's maxims, there are several books. Its light reading but a lot of fun.

"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory." Patton

apropos of this topic, i highly recommend the 1977 film, The Duellists. Phenomenal!

''Set during the Napoleonic Wars, it features two French Hussar officers, Armand d'Hubert (Keith Carradine) and Gabriel Féraud (Harvey Keitel). A misunderstanding between them over an initially minor incident becomes a quarrel that turns into a bitter, long-drawn out feud over the following fifteen years.The feud persists through the different campaigns of the Napoleonic war, and on into the period of the Bourbon restoration which follows. When the story begins, both men are lieutenants, and over time both rise through the ranks to reach the rank of General. At times, Feraud and d'Hubert meet but are of different rank in the army, which due to army regulations prevents them from duelling, but whenever both are of the same rank and in the same place, Feraud immediately issues a challenge. Each comes close to fatally wounding the other. During the retreat from Moscow, another duel (this time with pistols) almost takes place, but the two must act together to survive when they are attacked by Cossacks."

Back