Greddy Turbocharger For The Ek

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
anyone heard anything good/bad about the greddy turbocharger for the y8 engine? (96 civic ex)

im thinking of slapping one on in less than 2 months from now. and i wont be able to afford to tune it

till 6 or so months from when i get it installed AND i dont plan on running more than 5psi in boost till then.

all i have enough $$ for is the kit, bov, install, and intercooler. in theory, could i get away with the

bare minimum for 6 months provided i don't use and abuse it?

thoughts? comments?

<<edit>> on greddy
they have turbos listed for the 1992-1995 civic, and from 1997-1999.

where did the 1996 go? is there something different about the 1996 ?

and can i use the 1995 one on the 1996.

I believe on the Vortec you can add a BOV. Im aware of any other applications you can add one on to.

yeah you can add on the BOV on the VORTEC kit... if you want a Vortec Kit karnash hit me up cause i have a friend who works for Vortec... the company and main factory is located here in Oxnard [where i live]

B)

Originally posted by karnash@Mar 29 2003, 12:44 PM
about how much do the vortec's run eg?

i'll let you know as soon as i talk to him... lat time i talked to him it only cost about 1800 shipped or something like that... i'll make sure later on today if i talk to him koo??

ya dude or jus im me on aol-hell. i might be away but leave a message.

why 1800? jrsc are like 2600. y such a big price diff?

B/c JRSC thinks their shit is gold. Plus, JRSC is a roots style blower and Vortech is a centrifugal.

well again, slam me if you must....

but im seriously thinknig about the JRSC.
let me break it down for you so you can see the situation im in:

1) in 1 month and 2 weeks i shall have 3000.00 cash to spend.
2) school ends a few weeks after, in which that will be the ONLY time i have to have work done on my car.

3) im in Ca. and things need to be smog legal (grrrr)

4) i have MARJOR reservations about using fi on a d series motor....(altho codee is bit by bit changing my views on the d series)

so, with all that in mind, i gave one of the shops on here (prospeed) a call. he said that for a b16 swap into my 96 ex coupe, it would run 2800.
only problem is that it is OBDI. i need OBDII in order to get the b16 to pass smog (which im not sure can even be done...some people say it can)
the guy wants 300.00 extra to make it OBDII.
so for 3100, i can either get jrsc, greddy? turbo, or a b16 swap.
i really would like b16a2...but cant seem to find a shop that would give me motor and install for 3k.
greddy is the cheapest turbo and they dont make the "smog legal" guarantee for thr 96 coupe, hell
i cant even find the 96 coupe listed under any "kits" they sell,.... so kill that.
b16 OBDII....i know people say you CAN smog it, but untill i find someone in my area who has....so kill that.

JRSC...ya you pay 3k and only get 40 or so more hp. BUT at least ill be faster than a b16 or even gsr equipped coupe or hb. (torque)
and i think with time and money i can get the jrsc down to low 14 sec. daily driver.
so this is the shit im going thru, and the time for me to get shit done to my car is drawing closer and closer......

I don't know about faster than a GSR coupe. Do you realize how ridiculous 3k is for 40 hp? thats 75$/hp - and your limited as to where you can go. The reason it's justifiable for a swap is because it gives you expandability that you won't have on your other motor. Take the 3k and find a motor.

On a side note, you can easily smog a turbo - just turn your boost controller all the way down (ie setting your wastegate to full bypass). There will be no extra burned fuel, and your catalytic converter should take care of things.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 29 2003, 05:14 PM
i didn't know vortech made a SOHC blower

Blower is domestic term for Supercharger. Yes, Vortech makes shit. You have to piece a supercharger together from them though. They only sell kits for the DOHc, unless you maybe talk to them. here.

Thank you,

Drag through

uhhh- there' nothing on that link pertaining to the supercharger- just fuel shit.

anyway,
i really think you should fuck the D-series.
who ever said a jrsc on a d16y8 is faster than a b16 is probably wrong. if anything, they are REAL damn close.
the d-series is maxed out, the b-seires is stock.

If it were my car, i'd looks hard- DAMN hard - to find a b16a2 from a 99-00 civic si.
in fact, i'd pay a couple bucks from http://www.copartfinder.com to search for one.

They sell just the chargers, then you get them to fit. So technically, you can get one for it.

Anyways, at JRSC, the dyno was ~147/130 to the wheels. 130 to the wheels is faster than ~95-100 to the wheels. The b16a2 is 111 to the FLYWHEEL. So if 111 beats ~130, Then maybe i need to leave my 2.2 in the s-10 and not swap. I am the one who told him the ~130 will beat a b16. Plus the b16 is ~50-60 lbs heavier.

B-series are better motors, boosting the y8 is fine. Nothing wrong with it. You said in one post "250whp is fast for a civic". Mike knows some 210-215whp stock boosted y8's and a ~260-270whp built boosted y8. 250whp is 250whp, doesn't matter if its a h22 or a d-series making it.

Max power for a set budget, would be the y8, b/c you already own it.

someone tell me there is NO WAY IN HELL ill ever get my "d" series down to
a RELIABLE low 14's high 13's with FI

and ill drop the subject completly and follow the crowd and get a b16(a2)

scratch the turbo....i was just informed by someone who put a 92-95 greddy kit on their civic, that it is NOT legal for emissions for a 96 civic.

i was told greddy does not make a turbo for the 96 civic. what kind of shit is that?

Back