Greetings...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d.b.cooper

Mid-life Crisis Swap
I just logged on when Civicious sent me a note today..

I see that :

Search Results Welcome, d.b.cooper.
34404 Unread Posts since your last visit.
You last visited: 07-27-2007 at 12:19 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 18.

Apparently I have some catching up to do....

I actually had my car trapped in the garage for 2-3 months, broken spring and too generally lazy and depressed to do anything about it.

Got it out been driving it again. remembered why I bought it in the first place. Couple of road trips one up to the mountains, One flying across the desert, with a few mountain passes and twisties in the mix.

Amazing car.

I got carried away and nearly went past a what turned out to be a pair of highway patrol SUV's at 105. I let off the gas when I saw what might be one SUV off the side of the road(it was dark out), only managed to scrub off enough speed to maybe be doing 85 90 when I passed. nervously checked rear view, sure enough lights behind me pulled out no flashies yet. I stepped on it, passed the one car I just caught then, very few cars oncoming...

Remembered Calesta's ditch a cop method that Civicious had written up in a High School "How too" essay. (Anyone have a link to either story...? I couldn't find them with search)

I booked it waiting for a curve, all too gentle, they weren't gaining, but I wasn't pulling away fast enough to figure I could make the state line in 30 miles before the radio would. a minute and 2 miles later, I'm 3/4 of a mile ahead at least still, and climb a slight rise. As SOON as I couldn't see any lights behind me in the downgrade, I killed the lights, Stepped on the brakes until I slowed enough for the e-brake to finish. I got it slowed, turned around and pointed the other way. Right then the car I had passed is has just been passed by both SUV's and all of them have just crested the hill They are surely going to see me hit my lights. I turn them on hoping it looks from that distance like I am popping up out of a defilade. I gun it and manage to be doing 70 straight at them when they went screaming by me at over a 100.

Heart pounding, I head back to town then get paranoid that they have called back too. I am so sure they are going to go two turns and realize what happend and come back after me.

Really nervously I turn around again and follow them going exactly 65 mph. A mile maybe two after the spot I lost them I figure out what happened. The way I was going to a small town to spend the night is on the old west highway that has since been bypassed by the better road to the mine. Both cops went that way. I still drove 65 the last 30 miles.

Paranoid I say a red light off in the distance when I was on a little used back road that goes across the state line on the way to my sister-in-law..I thought, what did they get a plate at that speed in the dark???! even if they called my house, why would my wife tell them where to find me????

It was some dude making hay while the sun don't shine and for some reason he has a red flashing light on his big tractor...

Big ear to ear grin.

Next day after my job interview up at the mine I was only speeding when I had 100% visibility for a couple of miles and NO cars of any description in sight. Hit about 120+ a couple of times. On paper, the gear ratio on the GSR transmission should be good for 148 at redline, but I need more road, less bumps, no crosswinds, and more courage to try it.

Next day I did get pulled over on a chicksht one brakelight out stop. (AZ law only REQUIRES one, but there is a catch-all that your vehicle should be in "working order") My paranoia convinced me they had a BOLO for a light colored hatchie. That area supposedly has a fair amount of smuggling, and cops like to pull people over for anything to look for an excuse to do an illegal search. Ive been pulled over for going like 6 mph over but a Bureau of Land Management SUV once. I didn't even know they COULD make traffic stops. No ticket but they nosed around a lot. All of them looking to make the big bust.

I took my time from then on. Totally stupid to speed at night on an undivided highway, with my cigarette lighter broken so no detector. Totally worth it though.

Last edited:
heheh. rush, huh?

i want to be in a high-speed chase on purpose someday. i'm just too much of a pussy to deal with the consequences if i lose. lol

welcome back :D

heheh. rush, huh?

i want to be in a high-speed chase on purpose someday. i'm just too much of a pussy to deal with the consequences if i lose. lol

welcome back :D

Well here's the idea I had for the less than courageous of us...(like me when I don't stumble into a do, or die in the insurance rates situation)

The IDIOTS that run Scottsdale AZ strictly to improve safety with nary a though as to the revenue stream they could generate, decided to "allow" the State to install photo-radar cameras on the freeway complete with blinding strobe flashes at night. You should see the sea of brake lights and near crashes as drivers who bumble upon them innocently jam on the brakes whilst staring into the dash to determine IF they are speeding when they realize that they have come up on that fixed point at I think the limit of 65 mph.

In the past, when I have lacked mandatory insurance, a drivers license and current tags, I have manufactured my own passable plate using a digital camera and a very good laser color printer.Its flat instead of raised and non-reflective but passes the 20 foot test. Incidentally, It once passed the COP test too. I was pulled over for speeding, I had a phony plate with the correct numbers on it tucked inside my dusty back window. The real plate was on the p-o-s-chevy-suburban-never-had-a-valid-registration-even-now-as-we-speak.

He did seem to have run the vin, So I assumed the cuffs were coming. He was nice, let me go with a warning on speed and a much more expensive no-proof-of-insurance ticket. I actually was insured , just no proof, so a faxed copy of my insurance card to the court vacated the citation. (which I didn't manufacture but I certainly could have)

Anyway, my idea..(to Will's horror) rice it up temporarily, maybe some temporary graphics with that washable paint, (anyone trust that stuff to come off?) Altezzas.lighted license place frame, ground effect neon lights,,well you know..., Don a gorrilla mask. Fabricate a plate..(or borrow one from someone I don't like). Hit the freeway at 2 am. Buzz it once at reasonable speeds to look for cops. (not a huge risk, they have left that stretch to the cameras, kind of like a self-check line for speeders). Better would be a couple of buddies with cellphones staking out exits. (I am married with 5 kids though so I have no buddies that can meet me at 2:00 in the morning to toilet paper a house, start a fire or drag race.)

Start a couple of miles back and find out if the tire/gear-ratio calculator is right that the Hatch is in fact good for 148, and maybe set a new record on the freeway...If I could get a taller 5th and a turbo, Maybe high enough that more than the quiet glee, I could even see the wanted poster in the local paper.

Oh speaking of evasion and escape...my glee overcame my caution and I had to relate my E&E to a friend and neighbor who is employed in the capacity of detective in a neighboring city. He roared in laughter and bested my tale. He tells of how when he was young (this had to by in the 1960's) his mom had apparently violated some traffic law. Whether he was after her or not,she perceived that a cop some distance back with lights on was in "hot pursuit,flash.." She whipped into the parking lot of a local grocery in the family wagon, and hissed for all the kids to duck down as the cop reportedly cruised the parking lot.

Funny, none of my kids have expressed an interest in growing up to BE a cop. This despite the fact that they are aware of the times I have taken steps to avoid having my plates read. One even waited for several hours in the room in a substation where I was cuffed to the wall awaiting my wife to pick up the child so I could be processed for an outstanding warrant. (turns out "outstanding really isn't the praise it sounds like.)

edit, oh and cool, the picture randomizer at the top of the forum just happened to be a picture of the hatch that I had forgotten I had uploaded a long time ago.. :)
moz-screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
Goddammit I want that car back.

Anyone got a couple a thousand $ I can borrow?

well if your only a couple of thousand short, I'd take some payments for the last 2 say.

In the alternative...I kid you not but in a farmers field on that lonely road in that border town, there is an unmolested red 92-95 hatch. (DX I think) It would start and run and then die after a few seconds, and not start again til it sits a while. My father-in-law knows the history behind the car and hasn't told them he is sure the problem is a melted cat. He was trying to negotiate fixing it for them in exchange for a dead nisan pick-up truck they also have. This was several months ago. They wanted less than $1,000 for it AND I DIDNT HAVE A THOUSAND! I was too poor and depressed about my povery to inquire this trip ifits still there.

nice read :)

you cant link to a picture on your system though.
Nope..but the right clip copy had worked on the fonts and such inmy initial post so I wondered. Would need a static ip address, a running computer relaible enough to actually leave it up for that! :)

I take no credit at all for the attached vision of loveliness...I just bought it as is, and then paid somebody to rebuild the stock GSR trans with an LSD and proceed to drive it as if I had not, in fact paid Civicious for it. If you won't drive it like you stole it, you might as well collect stamps.

Attachments

• Hondas 007.jpg
    Hondas 007.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
150 exactly was my limit at 8000rpm with the SiR2 transmission on 205/50/15 tires. It's actually very smooth at that speed- but the sedan body might have better aero at high speed than the hatch does.

The last time I had to evade a cop was quite some time ago, but that concluded with a run to 140+ and shutting off the lights while ducking through some farmer's land for 20 minutes. I was afraid he was going to come out with a shotgun and ask what the hell I was doing parked near his house.

By the way, most highway patrols have border agreements with adjacent states and counties for pursuit, so just crossing the state line doesn't guarantee that you can get away. The Texas highway patrol could have chased me all the way back to my apartment in Oklahoma 75 miles away if they wanted to.

Which border town has the dead Nissan pickup, and what year?

It's good to see you post up here again. :thumbsup:

kill story of the year. :thumbsup:

Back