grinding noise at about 3,000 rpm in first and second

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rondogg779

ok i have a grinding noise at about 3 grand in first and second and sometimes third.you can hear a rattling when the clutch isn't engaged while its in neutral.and you can also hear the gear kind of whining down when you downshift into first or second whil you still have the clutch in it kind of whines like it is in gear and slowly drops down as your speed does.i was initially thinkng a throwout bearing but would that cause all of the problems listed above?please let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

its pretty easy to change the bearing, once you've opened the case, you take the gear set out as a whole and remove the bearing from the case. read the write ups, it helps a lot.

so its not the throwout bearing?if not i guess i'll replace the transmission,but im really trying to avoid that.im going to post a video so you can hear it.

Yeah, but if your input bearing has gone bad, its probably not going to be long till the other ones go.

ok how can i know for sure if it is the input shaft bearing or the throwout bearing??it makes noise when it is in neutral with the clutch out but when it is in it stops.when i am driving it will start making noise around 2 1/2 TO 3 grand in 1st 2nd and 3rd (probably in all the gears but cant really hear in 4th or 5th).and its a loud grinding type noise.the clutch will also feel funny sometimes such as letting out really high or when you are fully off of it it is still somewhat engaged and wont pull right.

also if im changing the clutch how hard is going to be to go ahead and do the input shaft bearing?im guessing that everything needs to be rplaced anyways.thanks in advance for any help you can give me i have already spent alot of money on this car and i really just want to get it right

Back