Grinding sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Laxer42

So i just bought my 1998 civic dx hatchback. And i knew it when i bought, that it had a grinding sound when i downshift, does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Sounds like synchros to me. Try changing the trans fluid to some GM synchromech fluid. I've heard of that helping.

try slowly going into gear on a downshift, give the synchros time to catch up. or, rev match by doing a heal-toe downshift.

so it's only when you downshift ? , My Main shaft bearing is bad so it's loud all the time unless the clutch is pushed in...

it's been shown to benifit honda manual trasmisisons as well. the chemical make up of the fluid corrosponds well. i run it in mine too. showed a noticable difference. powershifts became much easier and almost effortless.

Should i do this my self or take it some where.

is it an easy thing to do,i have never attempted? and i hear it can be bad to change the trans fluid because it can shock your system, my car has 111000 miles and i believe that should be fine and wont hurt it.

a gm dealership, or Penzoil makes a copy of it which you can get at most autoparts stores. Thats what I have always used.

changing the fluid is pretty easy. take the speed sensor out, then remove the tranny drain plug to drain the fluid. then the normal fill plug so you know when its full. get a long skinny funnel and pour the fluid through the speed sensor hole till you see it start to come out of the regular fill hole. onoce that happens put the fill plug and VSS back in and enjoy. half hour tops

tranny_oil_holes2.jpg

Wait wait wait, so the noise is loud, unless you have the clutch in?

Sounds like it could be the throwout bearing to me.

Back