Grinding Transmission

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

khai_tuan_nguyen

People talk about missing a gear or downshifting at a high rpm and now they think their tranny grinds.

What is missing a gear and what are the symptoms of a tranny that grinds? What sounds, under what conditions?

Thanks
Khai

Originally posted by allbottledup@Aug 6 2004, 04:34 PM
you will know when you hear it...its a metal on metal sound. Vewry distinctive
[post=373520]Quoted post[/post]​

But why does it happen and when do you hear the sound. Is it the same sound when you put it in gear, without presseing the clutch in?

synchros, stop, well, syncho'ing :)

its a gear... when the teeth wear out, and you move it to line it up, it grinds

the syncros are rarely the issue as far as grinding.

most of the time it is bent forks. you can pickup a new set of forks for $55 from the honda dealer. when you start jamming gears and racing and shit it gets teh forks out of adjustment. and it grinds.

the only time that syncros are really bad is after like 250k miles. 90% of the time it is the forks.

nathan

Originally posted by allbottledup@Aug 6 2004, 04:34 PM
you will know when you hear it...

I was going about 90 mph and grinded the shit out of my tranny going into 4th (or not going into 4th lol). I defintely noticed it makes funny noises after that. Maybe a month or two later I missed 2nd gear, but I ended up breaking a chunk off the shifter fork and my tranny was done after that. Luckily I picked up another Z6 tranny for $40 so I at least could drive my car. I ended up buying a Y8 tranny because it has steel shifter forks though just to make sure the same thing doesn't happen again.

Originally posted by ssl2k@Aug 6 2004, 06:40 PM
the syncros are rarely the issue as far as grinding.

most of the time it is bent forks. you can pickup a new set of forks for $55 from the honda dealer. when you start jamming gears and racing and shit it gets teh forks out of adjustment. and it grinds.

the only time that syncros are really bad is after like 250k miles. 90% of the time it is the forks.

nathan
[post=373567]Quoted post[/post]​

I wish I knew that before I sold my tranny. I thought it was the syncros and sold it for dirt cheap because it grinded going into 3rd. only a 55 dollar fix for somone that knows what they are doin. FUC!

How about a tranny that only grinds when you are upshifting at 7000+ rpms...what do you guys think that is?

Originally posted by cheese9988@Aug 7 2004, 06:00 PM
How about a tranny that only grinds when you are upshifting at 7000+ rpms...what do you guys think that is?
[post=373859]Quoted post[/post]​

how may miles? Cause we know syncros are not supposed to go out until 250k but heavy up and down shifting at high rpm will make them wear faster. if your grinding into every gear, imo, its syncros. have you ever tried to double clutch and see if you still grind?

Never tried to double clutch while doing that...I got it out of a junk yard crx and I think it had 180k on it. Reverse is actually the worst, most manual trannies will grind going into reverse once in awhile I have noticed but even if I double clutch in nutreal it will still grind no matter what. So I don't make it look like I can't drive the thing I put it in reverse before I start it up so it don't grind. So you guys think I just have to put new syncros in it, or can they be fixed?

Originally posted by cheese9988@Aug 7 2004, 07:34 PM
Never tried to double clutch while doing that...I got it out of a junk yard crx and I think it had 180k on it. Reverse is actually the worst, most manual trannies will grind going into reverse once in awhile I have noticed but even if I double clutch in nutreal it will still grind no matter what. So I don't make it look like I can't drive the thing I put it in reverse before I start it up so it don't grind. So you guys think I just have to put new syncros in it, or can they be fixed?
[post=373864]Quoted post[/post]​

reverse dosent have syncros thats why it grinds. try putting it into 4th then into reverse. u cant really just put new syncros in, its kind of hard working on trannys with so many moving parts inside. i wouldnt recommend doing the job unless uve done it b4 or have someone help u that knows what they are doing.

Originally posted by hybrid_b18+Aug 7 2004, 06:28 PM-->
cheese9988
@Aug 7 2004, 06:00 PM
[post=373859]Quoted post[/post]​

how may miles? Cause we know syncros are not supposed to go out until 250k but heavy up and down shifting at high rpm will make them wear faster. if your grinding into every gear, imo, its syncros. have you ever tried to double clutch and see if you still grind?
[post=373863]Quoted post[/post]​

Synchro's will go out whenever the hell thay want to. Or whenever you skrew up. All it takes is one missed shift at 8K and bye-bye synchro. I should know, I did exactly that about two months ago, second to third at 8200rpm's. Under normal driving it would make a loud "clunk" sound when you put it into third, and when you gave it the gas, and tried to shift anywhere in Vtec, it wouldn't even go into gear at all.

A synchro is just a small brass colored 3 piece gear with two moving parts. Like all gears, a synchro has teeth, in this case mounted on the inside of the gear, not the outside. When you make consistant bad shifts, or under normal wear, the teeth will slowly round off over time causing slippage in the later stages of it's life. When you make a really bad shift at High RPM's, you will snap the teeth off all together, then you have no synchro. This does not make the car undriveable though.

IMO, if you have a synchro thats burnt out, try and look around for a new tranny. Keep in mind that most Honda synchro's come in sections (meaning 1+2 gear, 3+4 gear, 5th) and depending which gear is blown or grinding you might have to buy two......eg: if second and third is grinding, you must replace 1,2,3,4....they only come in packs. Up here in Canada, a synchro for a B16 Hydro tranny is about $220 from Honda each. I replaced my 3+4 tranny, replaced every single bearing in the tranny, got a new ITR clutch disk (needed a new one), and filled her up with redline tranny oil.....Parts and labour......$1550 cdn. Price up here for a new JDM ITR Tranny W/LSD +Install = $1600. See my point?

In your opinion do you think it be worth rebuilding a `88 si tranny? I paid $200 with all the linkage from a local junkyard for it. Or would I be best off trying to search around for a lower milage one.

when ever i'm above 7000 RPMS and shifting "Fast" i grind all the time but i still et it to go into gear. But if i'm above 7000 RPMS and take a "slow shift" it slide right in no problem at all.

And the crazy thing is. My car will run faster times when i grind going into second. It's like the gear is right there and there's no wait. I Think it's because i can move the shifter faster then the clutch.

Back