ground clearance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

daveheinbach

Hi,

I recently accepted reality and sold my "winter" vehicle because of fuel prices. Now my only car is a 1999 Civic DX sedan. Great car, awesome mileage.

I was thinking about getting a larger-diameter tire to increase my ground clearance. Stock size is 185/65/14. I think a 195/75/14 gives me 24.5" diameter vs. 23.5". This is for winter driving to ski areas, etc. If it works I'll do the same in the summer for gravel roads. I don't mind the error in the speedometer.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks

Yes, sorry I didn't clarify. Car is completely stock. In a previous life I would be looking into lowering, bigger wheels, swaybars, etc.... Now I'm wanting MORE ground clearance. If Eibach sells springs that will give me 2-3" of lift I'm looking into it for sure.

What kind of tire were you planning on going with? If its a normal all season tire, you should be fine, some added sidewall flex is to be expected, but if you are going with an actual winter tire, the car will become VERY unstable, as the winter rubber is alot softer... I experienced this in my integra a few years back... Now i run a full size narrower in the front and back, with winter tires in front, and all season tires in the rear...

a large tire clogs the wheel well faster, and you end up caking your wheels real quick. if anything, go thinner for winter... but 185 is already pretty thin.

Back