Ground Wire package?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Harms Way

I found a ground wire package to ground out everything from the negative post on the battery to the alternator, engine block, intake manifold, etc.

I found a Mugen one for about 50 shipped and some other no name brand for around 30 shipped. I have a few questions. First off, is it worth it to get a grounding wire package? Second of all, has anyone done it and saw an improvement in torque? HP? And third, do you think there is a difference in the no name brand vs the mugen brand? I am not looking for a gigantic increase in either, but i am running A/C alot going to school, as well as a VAFC II, radio with one sub and amp. (99 civc) I heard it was a good thing to get when running alot of electronics.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

It does definitely help, but you won't notice a major power increase. Good grounds are always a good thing. If you don't want to pay any cash, just make your own out of high temp large gauge cable and a bunch of power rings for connections. Measure, cut, crimp/solder, shrink- you're done.

It's the jacket that needs to be heat resistant- the copper wire is almost always the same. You can go to Home Depot or any hardware store and just ask them for stranded high temp wire. Most power wire that you buy from stereo shops for amplifier hookup are high temp also, since you have to run them under the hood to the battery. Either will work fine. Wire from audio shops tend to use finer copper strands though, so they'll be a little more flexible and be easier to work with.

Is one better than the other? Because I found a "Mugen" ground wire package on Ebay for about 50 shipped and the hyper ground wires on the net are going for around 115.... :unsure:

Thanks for the fast replies Calesta. One more thing, I found some packages that come with about 7 wires that plug into various things, from the block, manifold, etc etc, then there are those with only 4 or 5 wires...what's the diffference? one better than the other? or is it just to ground out more things?

The more the merrier?

Seriously- just look through your factory service manual to find out where all your ground points are, then look under your hood to confirm. As long as you replace all your factory grounds with nice new thick ones made with nice thin stranded copper wire, you should be good. If you want to add more in areas that need them, you can always do that too- but I would just stick with replacing the factory grounds.

The kits with more wires are probably universal kits with different wire lengths in them to fit more cars than just Civics.

bruce did a dyno test of these things over on his site, hondapitstop.com have a look over there and see what you can find

most ground kits ground to the neg post on the battery but the hyper ground uses a patented daisy chain method.

Back