Group B Monsters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Renault R5 = made of win

damn... pure and simple awesomeness... dont know what to consider more hazardous... to watch these cars race... live, or pilot them... pure and total chaos. i love it!!!

unfortunately Group B was too badass and had to be put down just 4 short years after its inception :(

the creator of that video really summed it up best
....The idea was to make a video to my liking and to tell something about this notorius chapter in the history of the sport were common sense got thrown out of the window in every aspect.
im sad that i missed it... because nothing will ever compare to it again
factory backed cars with unlimited budgets and unlimited power, being piloted by the most skilled and ballsiest drivers to ever sit behind a wheel, on the most amazingly raw courses that could be imagined, all for the fans who without question were the craziest creatures on the planet

heres some more Group B goodness
YouTube - Pure Group B Supercars with pure engine sounds

here is a site with a lot of info on Group B... its a good place to start looking if you are interested in this history
The Group B rally cars - Home Page

[SIZE=-1]Rallying today is growing in leaps and bounds; More manufacturers than ever are taking part in the world rally championship, and even more are participating in various national championships. Last year, 16.5 million people spectated at the 14 rounds of the WRC, the highest live attendance figure of any form of motorsport. The drivers are among the best in the world, and the cars are extremely quick and very entertaining to watch.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]But there was a time when rallying was very different. The early 1980s saw a category created specifically for manufacturers who wanted to show off their engineering capabilities; Group B was born. The Group B rally supercars quickly evolved into 500+ horsepower, four-wheel-drive chest-thumping beasts with space frames, kevlar bodywork, and many other high-tech pieces. The cars reached a point where many wondered if the cars had reached a point where the drivers could not fully control them. For instance, the Lancia Delta S4 could accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 2.3 seconds on a gravel road. Henri Toivonen drove an S4 around Estoril, the Portuguese Grand Prix circuit, so quickly that he would have qualified sixth for the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix. Nigel Mansell sampled a Peugeot 205 T16 and said it could out-accelerate his F1 car. And, perhaps most impressive (frightening?), the driver's reaction times were cut in half compared with previous rally cars. The Group B rally cars and their pilots were the stuff of which legends are made.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]This is their story.[/SIZE]
this site has some good info on the cars
Group B Rally - Home

and ive already posted 2 of this guy's videos... but seriously his youtube channel has some of the best rally footage available on the internet
YouTube - amjayes's Channel

YouTube - Group B Monsters - The Days of Madness

so much better than the rally of today, which has become a pussy sport.

ken block eat your heart out.

because the corners are where the action and excitement is
because if given the open opportunity to be as close to and on occasion actually IN the action... people will take it

this past summer i was at a race at my local road course and found that there is a new area that can be accessed... it puts you on the outside edge of a downhill corner about 3 ft from the cars as they pass by at full tilt... now this is on tarmac... but i will say that having those cars fly by at 100+MPH just a few feet from you... being able to feel the air as they go by... having your ears literally hurt from the sound... feeling your bones vibrating from the vibration of the exhaust note... it was one of the most exhilarating feelings ever...
and im sure that knowing in the back of your head that if something went wrong, it would not likely end well for you adds to the endorphin rush just a bit ;)

Last edited:
because the corners are where the action and excitement is
because if given the open opportunity to be as close to and on occasion actually IN the action... people will take it

this past summer i was at a race at my local road course and found that there is a new area that can be accessed... it puts you on the outside edge of a downhill corner about 3 ft from the cars as they pass by at full tilt... now this is on tarmac... but i will say that having those cars fly by at 100+MPH just a few feet from you... being able to feel the air as they go by... having your ears literally hurt from the sound... feeling your bones vibrating from the vibration of the exhaust note... it was one of the most exhilarating feelings ever...
and im sure that knowing in the back of your head that if something went wrong, it would not likely end well for you adds to the endorphin rush just a bit ;)

Limerock, correct? If it is I know the spot you are talking about. Since they re-did the track last year the back section is so much more entertaining than the front straight or the esses. My favorite spot is the new chicane after the uphill and then the back straight.

I have a softspot for the delta s4, I got to drive one, unfortunately it was in the rain so it wasn't as much fun as I could have had. It's about as fast as a sportsbike. :D

A mother is suing the driver and organizers of the California 200 event.

I think I'll walk in the middle of a police shootout and sue everyone after I get shot.

Back