GS-R BETTER THAN LS/VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Pewble

my dad ownz a machine shop im gonna buy a b18c1 and bore it out at his shop... prolly to 84.5 MM or something im not exactly sure yet. Im gonna get cams, port the head and do a valve job too, this will be in my 95 dx coupe. theoretically, wouldnt it be better to bore a GS-R motor to LS size... than swap a VTEC head onto a LS motor, due to some of the complications impending on an LS swap, the oil prolblems, etc? i think ill bore it out a little bigger than LS stock size tho.... please reply

You're believing almost all fictional information about the LS/VTEC from people who have never built one. If you want to bore a GSR out to LS size, you don't have to go to 84.5mm, you only have to bore to 81.83mm. Good luck boring your GSR block out to 84.5 though- it should be quite fun for you.

:lol:

yeah really i thought all factory b series were 81 mm. so if you go 84.5 wont you need sleeves then? if not man those would be some thin walls. i would be scared to even start it. they would crack like nothing. i would just go with the b18c1 with an ls crank (for the torque). good luck though.

81.5 is the limit. after that, it must be sleeved.

lsvtec works great if done right, like using the proper headgasket, duh. and other items such as replacing pumps while it is apart and matching the belt with the pump and not using a b16a timing belt.

LS has the benefit of simply one thing, more stroke. So even if you did resleeve a GSR or LS to the exact same bore you would have the ls producing more displacement, at the factory 81mm rating the ls has roughly 36~cc's.

Milan

Originally posted by Pewble@Jul 17 2003, 12:56 AM
my dad ownz a machine shop im gonna buy a b18c1 and bore it out at his shop... prolly to 84.5 MM or something im not exactly sure yet. Im gonna get cams, port the head and do a valve job too, this will be in my 95 dx coupe. theoretically, wouldnt it be better to bore a GS-R motor to LS size... than swap a VTEC head onto a LS motor, due to some of the complications impending on an LS swap, the oil prolblems, etc? i think ill bore it out a little bigger than LS stock size tho.... please reply

LS bore = GSR bore
stock

Yes, but he CAN bore out the GSR to 81.83 millimeters to match the displacement of the LS engine.

:lol:

Originally posted by DA69@Jul 17 2003, 06:49 AM
i would just go with the b18c1 with an ls crank (for the torque). good luck though.

whats the displacement and c/r of this setup?b18c1 with ls crank

displacement is 1834 cc's
Compression depends on the pistons that you use because you will not be able to use GSR rods with the LS crank.

Back