Gs-r tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MrLewis84

My Gs-r tranny grinds 2nd and 3rd really bad at almost any rpms....how much would a rebuild cost me? Or is it better just to buy a new one????

A rebuild will most likly be cheaper and last longer than you going out and getting a newer one. Rebuilds very in price depending on your location.

ok......i heard that i need new synchros anybody know how much they cost??.....and whats a good LSD to put in the tranny besides oem?????

for LSD depends on what the car will be used for.
drag - quaiffe
road race - kaaz 1.5 way
cheap - ITR

Just to know, why Kaaz 1.5 way for road race? Doesnt the Quaiffe also help cornering? Just asking not to start argument or anything

do a search for synchors pricing,,,since it's 2-3 it shoudln't be that bad if you do the labor to take your tranny out and send it...

I think like 200 bucks...

Originally posted by TypeRcivic@Sep 9 2003, 09:44 PM
Just to know, why Kaaz 1.5 way for road race? Doesnt the Quaiffe also help cornering? Just asking not to start argument or anything

i would use a quaiffe for everything.

why? it has a lifetime guarantee.

kazz doesn't.

and thats all i have to say about that

will any of those lsd's make the car feel nasty when i want to drive normal????????....cause i have the 4 puck clutchnet and act extreme pressure plate right now and driving slow is no fun ...its like learning how to drive all over again

its really unnoticable for normal driving. it only activates when one wheel slips, or another wheel is going faster than the other.

Any body know about the cost of synchros 4 my tranny or know a good site to check?????

Originally posted by B16@Sep 9 2003, 08:41 PM
drag - quaiffe
road race - kaaz 1.5 way
cheap - ITR

I am going to disagree with that

kaaz would be better for drag/burn outs because it is a clutch type diff

quaiffe would be better for road racing because it is a "torque biasing diff" not truly a limited slip

long story short.....
clutch lsd's will make both your wheels spin at the exact same speed and this will make cornering more difficult than with a helical gear diff like quaiffe. but helical diffs won't work if there isn't some ammount of load on each wheel (like if one wheel is off the ground or on ice)

I would go with quaiffe because of the warranty and overall better drivability for cornering and such. I bought my tranny with an OEM lsd in it.

Originally posted by seanjuan+Sep 10 2003, 02:09 PM-->
@Sep 9 2003, 08:41 PM
drag - quaiffe
road race - kaaz 1.5 way
cheap - ITR

quaiffe would be better for road racing because it is a "torque biasing diff" not truly a limited slip

long story short.....
clutch lsd's will make both your wheels spin at the exact same speed and this will make cornering more difficult than with a helical gear diff like quaiffe. but helical diffs won't work if there isn't some ammount of load on each wheel (like if one wheel is off the ground or on ice)

I would go with quaiffe because of the warranty and overall better drivability for cornering and such. I bought my tranny with an OEM lsd in it.

Yup

Originally posted by MrLewis84+Sep 11 2003, 09:58 PM-->
MrLewis84
@Sep 10 2003, 06:31 PM
Any body know about the cost of synchros 4 my tranny or know a good site to check?????????
????

?
????

Go ask a dealer. I rebuilt the synchros in my transmission for about $160, straight from the dealer. I had to replace the same 2-3 synchronizer set (USDM ITR parts) that you're looking for.

Originally posted by seanjuan+Sep 10 2003, 11:09 AM-->
@Sep 9 2003, 08:41 PM
drag - quaiffe
road race - kaaz 1.5 way
cheap - ITR

long story short.....

go to any road race track, ask the people who really race their cars on the road course which they would perfer, kaaz or quaiffe. i posted that by what the experienced people who run honda challenge use, they all use kaaz. those that have used quaifee on the road course have ditched them. i used to be a big fan of quaiffe, but after speaking to many of the guys running honda challenge, they have all said to stay away from quaiffe.

Back