Gsr 4 Door B18c1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ejclide

Swapper for life!
Yo everyone. I'm new to the honda swap world, and I need guidance (my swap expertise is with V8s in blazers). I just LOVE my 92 civic lx EG8 chassis for it's 4 doors and the comfy racing seats and short shifter i threw in it. Did i mention i got it for free too? yeah.

I bought a GSR motor to swap into this civic, and I have BIG plans of power. But i have a big problem now. Credit card debt is never fun. anyway, i had started parting out the motor with what i was goign to replace (pistons, rods, crank, cams). so once i get an eagle lightweight crank, eagle hbeam rods, JE turbo pistons, and some stage 3 cams, I could think about putting this motor together.

Anyway, to my question, I want to know anything and everything useful to doing this swap successfully. My goal is 600hp, but i don't know if hitting that is rational. this is my daily driver, and while i don't mind paying the gas, it still might not be practical. regardless, my goal is to smoke any and every r-tard in my town that puts loud mufflers on their car and thinks it's fast. I also work in an auto parts store, so i can get a lot of stock parts cheap.

ALSO, i want to know if i can run the car with a bottom end set up for a turbo WITHOUT A TURBO. once i get the bottom end parts for this motor together i'm going to put them in and do the swap, and i don't know that i'll have enough money right away for all my other plans. I want to run 9:1 pistons so i can run hopefully 24-26 lbs of boost. i just wanna be sure that i can have it run without a turbo for a while. This reason i have to do it soon is that my D15B7 finally bit the dust with it's 330K, and i really don't feel like rebuilding it or finding the problem.

THanks for anything you guys can do to help. I've been reading these forums a lot to get info, and i'm just hoping you guys can help me with my specific case.

you can run a low compression engine without the turbo, ls engines do it all the time. You will probably notice little to no loss of power over a stock gsr engine with the parts you listed.
But your goal of 600 hp is rediculous, especially with a stock block. You will have to sleeve the block or get a dart block in order to handle that kind of boost.
Also, if you plan to build this engine yourself make sure you know about the oil clearances and tolerances on a honda engine, things here are much tighter than a v8, just throwing a set of aftermarket bearings in a honda engine doesn't cut it, get a manual that tells you how to choose the correct bearings for the engine.
If you need help then post, people around here are very helpful if you are a good listener and know how to weed through some of the BS.
And make sure you search before you ask, alot of questions have already been answered in one thread of another.
Welcome to hondaswap.

thank you very much for answering my question. I kinda figured that my plan of 600 hp was rediculous. What kind of horsepower is a reasonable goal to max out that block? how many lbs of boost? My main goal is hopefully to break 12 with this engine, and still drive it every day. I'm a college student, and i drive an hour and a half back and forth every weekend.

Also, should I even waste my time with a lightweight crank if i'm just going to use the stock block? Will a stock crank handle the boost that you think would be my max ammount? I'm going to install turbo pistons and h-beam rods regardless. What kind of cams should I get. what stage and what brand? and yes, i am looking for honda enthusiasts preferences. I'd sooner trust someone that's used them before and found out what's best.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the gsr crank is rated for 450hp? so that would be in your boost range, and I think your goal of 12 seconds on a turbo engine is realizable, 25 lbs of boost on a properly tuned engine would get you there, I think with a good tune, an LSD, slicks and only 15lbs you could do it, but I don't know how much the stock block can handle, even with a blockguard I wouldn't push it over 15.
If you are going turbo I would get a set of turbo cams from crower, post in the forced induction for a better responce to that question, and post in the engine building section for help on what is a good choice for poston/rod combo. Also someone there may be able to help with the horsepower capabilities and boost limits for your engine.
Hope I helped!

thank you very much! I'm sure I'll be needing more help when i actually get to putting the motor in. Am I correct that I can technically use the same mounts from my D15B7 to put the GSR motor in? I'd like to replace them anyway with Hasport mounts. Should I just call Hasport and find out? thanks

the only mount you can transfer to the gsr engine (and tranny) is the upper tranny mount, you might as well just get a mount kit.
The hasport part number is EG-B2 I think

Back