GSR ABS brakes to a crx swap??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

I wasn't sure where to ask this.. Suspension or swapping?

Anyhow, I just picked up a (stripper) 95 gsr and wanted to use the whole suspension to swap into my 89HF.
Will ABS calipers swap over like the other LS brake swaps?
I did my 90 4dr from a plain 90 teg 4dr and it all went well for over a year now.
I just hope that I didn't waste money..

Otherwise, Are 'used' pumps OK to sell? Price?

Thanks. E

Swapping in the entire ABS unit in is going to be a PITA; hence nobody goes that route and matter of fact they get rid of it in many race cars(for weight and get rid of the function; ABS is best for wet/inclement weather).

94-01 GSR front calipers/rotors will work if you use 90-91 Civic EX or 90-93 DA Integra front knuckles(which use the same diameter front brakes). On stock 88-91 non-EX knuckles the calipers will be too big for the rotors and you'll have a huge issue with uneven pad wear. For the rears, just swap over the entire trailing arm assembly and use brake cables from a CRX Si(which come with stock disc brakes). Master cylinder swaps too if you swap over the booster, bend the lines some and use a inverted flare fitting adapter(12mm to 10mm) or swap a 12mm fitting onto the stock line(the ABS GSR 1" MC uses one 10mm and one 12mm fittings vs. the regular two 10mm).

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the misunderstandings/wording it wrong, I don't want to use the ABS pump and assy. JUST WHAT'S UNDER THE WHEELWELLS..
I have a 89 hf that I wanted to have larger brakes fr/rear like my 90 4dr.
I wanted to know if the brakes, knuckles, LCA's and such will swap if it's from a ABS equipped car to a NON-ABS car. (Thanks B)

And if it won't, do the pumps 'go bad' at all for a re-sell? ($$)

I'm getting that sinking feeling that I screwed myself and got something I shouldn't have. (but, I'm waiting on papers from the state to see if I can obtain a nice black 95 civ,5spd, 2-door that was abandoned.. Maybe I can save it all for that one)

Thank you guys/gals for all your help! Again

Errol

K2e2vin;1646034(for weight and get rid of the function; ABS is best for wet/inclement weather).[/QUOTE said:
You mean best for people who can't drive, haha.

Anyway yeah dude you can use the rear trailing arms for rear disc and front knuckles/calipers w/o modification. As long as you use the teg knuckles, not the HFs. the bracket for the calipers probably won't match. You'll just need a 90-93 integra non ABS master and booster and you should get a 40/40 prop valve. Awesome brake set up.

<-using a ABS GSR 1" master cylinder in my Civic ;) Though, that's coming out and it's getting dual 3/4" MC's(or 5/8 front with 3/4 rear; still working on it) with no booster.

As long as you use 90-93 Integra knuckles*, and if possible you can just swap over the complete bracket and caliper assembly from the ABS Integra.

FYI, 94-01 knuckles will bolt onto a Civic but you have to SLAM the car to get zero camber(something like a 4" lower IIRC). Not practical. 94-01 LCA's won't work on a 88-91 Civic.

Well, that makes me feel a little bit better..

NO.. People DO NOT know how to operate a vehicle in the Memphis area!!
Heck 80% of them DON"T have insurance!
The only good thing is: the 'pull a parts' are always full!

I've been driving machinery for 40yrs, and these imbeciles don't even know how to merge. They think that just because they have a turn signal on that gives them the right to cut you off/flip you off.
My wife is glad that I don't 'carry'.. yet..

ANYHOW,Thank you for all the good info again.
The master will be going on the 4dr. (already have the 40/40 installed)
WHICH brings me to another thing.. My 4dr's rear rotors don't even look like they are being used. (Well, besides no rust on the faces)
I thought that the stopping would be lots better!

Errol

Back