GSR Automajik -> EK

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sevndaythry

So when we undertook this swap we had no idea what we were in for. Unfortunately we completely under quoted for the work, at $500 for labor. Total hours spent were around 60.
The car was a 99 EK hatch, the engine was an interesting combination: It was an obd I ecu with an OBD II dizzy, However the entire engine combo was OBD I. The Ecu was a 4 Plug, Unlike the US spec automatic systems the JDM GSR Autos utilize the TCM inside the ECU. Upon Looking for a pin out for that ecu, I obviously wasn't able to find one. So we had to Plug all the harnesses together to the ecu and Reverse engineer the wiring system.
After finishing the wiring problems we had to install the engine. To make it fit we used the Manual Transmission 99 SI T bracket modified to fit the automatic. Part of the passenger side frame had to be trimmed so the transmission could sit in its proper place and a motor mount bracket had to be made from scratch on top of the transmission.
One of the biggest problems that was encountered was for a cable coming out of the transmission. the company that we bought the swap from had already sold the motor from the car they pulled the setup from so they mated it with a manual engine. The cable from the transmission connected to the wheel on the throttle body cam. Since it was a manual engine/throttle body there was to place to recieve this cable so I (quite ignorantly) assumed this was for cruise controll (I know bad assumption). After 1 burnt transmission I had to make a custom wheel, becuase the orientation was different than an LS auto.
Finally the Whole ordeal was completed, and other the driver we haven't had any problems. LOL J/K (not really).
Before you start ragging, yes, I know its pointless. And I dont want to go into why the customer did the auto. I just thought I'd post that it has been done. here are pics and vids. Sorry for the poor spelling, grammar, etc. but I'm feeling lazy.

The Victim:

Apr26006.jpg

Apr26005.jpg

The Guts:

Mar25009.jpg

Mar25008.jpg

Mar25010.jpg

Mar25011.jpg

I unfortunately don't have any pics of the wiring process on this computer, but to give you an Idea of what it was like. draw on a piece of paper a box and a crude engine then let a 2 year old draw on the paper with the pen. :p

The Install:

Apr14004.jpg

Apr14001.jpg

The in?:

Apr14010.jpg

Apr16005.jpg

Apr16023.jpg

Apr16024.jpg

Apr27001.jpg

Apr27003.jpg

The Mount:

Apr14017.jpg

Its Still an AUTO =( :

Apr27004.jpg

The videos:

Let your comments fly.

I know you said you didn't want to go into it, but I'm interested as to why they wanted to stay automatic. :confused:

The customer wanted to stick with the automatic, because his girlfriend who doesn't have a drivers license, didn't want to learn how to drive a manual transmission. Therefore we went through hell to do it for him.

and yes eg6sir it is boring

So is the car for him? Or is it for her to drive? I'm assuming it's his since she doesn't even have a license?

Jesus...can anyone say "pussy whipped?" :( I'd tell her "it's my car, and my money, so learn to drive stick, or better yet, don't drive it."

Anyways, I guess it's cool that an automatic GSR is an option. I could see doing it for somebody who's got a bad leg or something like that.

Yeah, he is definatley whipped, but to truly understand you would have had to meet the guy.

Does anybody know if this swap has been successfully completed before?

I know for sure that it has. I remember there was an article in Honda Tuning a few years ago where a guy was really into Hondas and he had a nicely built GSR in his Civic, but then it got t-boned and his leg got smashed and the doctor told him he couldn't drive stick anymore, so he got a new Civic and did an automatic GSR swap.

congrats on the successful swap man, i had to abandon this same swap last summer b/c i didn't have ecu pinouts (didn't know the auto-P72 had such a different configuration). you guys are very smart for reverse-engineering the pinouts. i was in touch with harness people like Katman but couldn't get help from them b/c those pinouts are so damn rare. congrats again!

congrats on the successful swap man, i had to abandon this same swap last summer b/c i didn't have ecu pinouts (didn't know the auto-P72 had such a different configuration). you guys are very smart for reverse-engineering the pinouts. i was in touch with harness people like Katman but couldn't get help from them b/c those pinouts are so damn rare. congrats again!

Thread is six months old, but ok.

I need help: Jdm gsr auto swap to ls integra...1

I just wanna ask how can i use my 96-99 jdm gsr auto ecu to my 96 integra ls auto ecu? i bought a 96-99 jdm gsr auto engine with ecu and auto transmission included. my problem is im planning to swap it to my '96 auto ls integra. my ls ecu is obd2b and the jdm gsr auto ecu is obd2 as well. is there any problem for swapping my gsr auto to my ls eventhough they both have obd2 ecu? im struggling about the wiring of my ls ecu and im still confuse how am i gonna use my jdm gsr auto ecu to my ls? thanks for the help.

This thread is nearly a year old, and your question is confusing. Don't resurrect old threads from the dead. Please start a new thread and be more clear about what you're asking...

I emailed those pinouts to katman. I dunno if he still has them but i made them available. i do check back about every 4-6 months or whenever i get an email from hondaswap. This swap is still a complete waste of time and if your thinking about doing it, dont fucking bother. your shit will still be slow and huge pain in the ass to fix. Go buy a different car.

Back