GSR block with B16 head

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Sergey P.A.

ok, one of my friends bought a B18c1 block with pistons, and he had a B16a2 lying around so he took a B16 head and put it on the GSR block,

what will happen,

what I think will happen, the compresion will drop so is the power

what you think,

you'll lose two points in compression and gain a head that flows ~5% better. you'll see no signifigant change in power.

Originally posted by kylemarhx@Dec 6 2003, 03:36 AM
you'll lose two points in compression and gain a head that flows ~5% better. you'll see no signifigant change in power.

wait...i'm confused...

B16a2:
Compression Ratio: 10.4:1

B18c1:
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1

Wouldn't he gain compression?

Originally posted by revolution8k+Dec 6 2003, 12:50 AM-->
kylemarhx
@Dec 6 2003, 03:36 AM

wait...i'm confused...

B16a2:

B18c1:

no, the piston dome displacement is totally different between the b18c1 pistons and b16a pistons

Originally posted by B16+Dec 6 2003, 03:58 AM-->
Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 6 2003, 12:50 AM
kylemarhx
@Dec 6 2003, 03:36 AM

wait...i'm confused...

B16a2:

B18c1:

no, the piston dome displacement is totally different between the b18c1 pistons and b16a pistons

ok cool. thanks for clearing that up.

The b16 head is a better head than the gsr. The compression is barely affected by the head. In my opinion for NA the setup of what your buddy has is better than the gsr head and block combo.

its like a poormans typeR really. but the differences of air flow in the b18c vs b16a heads are almost neglegible. someone on here has the graph where it ocmpares the two.

the gsr head has wedged combustion chambers thus allowing for .2 more compresssion over the b16/PR3 head.

figures show that the GSR head does flow more cfm down low but the b16/PR3 head will flow a little more uptop, it's a fair trade off literally.

actually i'm doing the same setup except the block is coming with type r pistons but i wanted to replace the crank with an ls crank for the better stroke, and put in low compression pistons, and the head is p&p with crower springs and retainers.....i plan on going turbo any suggestions for cams, turbo setup, intake manifold and pistons? i assume ls forged rods will be fine i'm not sure if they have the same specs as the gsr....thanks

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Dec 6 2003, 02:47 AM
ok, one of my friends bought a B18c1 block with pistons, and he had a B16a2 lying around so he took a B16 head and put it on the GSR block,

what will happen,

what I think will happen, the compresion will drop so is the power

what you think,

What your freind really should do is out the P30 pistons from the b16 in the GSR block. This will yeild him about 11.3:1 comp. Then with some mild cams that thing will be a monster.

Back