gsr cable tranny, no speedo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

13g-crx

gsr tranny in my crx. Speedometer cable seemed to be fine but I replaced it anyway. I pulled the the VSS out, put the cable down it and spun it with my drill and the speedo worked so everything is apparently working from the cluster all the way down to the tranny. I jacked the car up and spun the wheels but I can't feel the gear that drives the speed sensor move at all. It has to be a problem inside the tranny, correct? How complicated is this to fix?

when you spun the wheels off the ground the car was in gear with one wheel locked in place? otherwise it's not gonna turn that gear inside the tranny.
Also, the gear in the tranny that contacts the vss is part of the differential and is unlikely it is bad, basically if you can see it, it is good.
for all intensive purposes im going to call the part that goes into the tranny the VSS,
remove the vss from the tranny, hook the speedo cable up to it, spin it any way you can and see if the speedo registers it.
sometimes getting the cable into the vss is tricky, make sure you have it all the way in and that you have to keeper in place to hold the cable into the vss.
check the plastic gear on the vss to make sure it isn't missing teeth, or teeth are all worn off.
lastly make sure you have the correct vss for the gsr tranny, usually honda vss are interchangable, but sometimes they aren't.

Back