gsr del sol swap problems no v tec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rrz69

i justed swapped a jdm 98 gsr into my 94 del sol si(1.6sohc v-tec) using a obd1 p72. i had to splice the obd2 injector plugs to the obd1 harness and thats about it. a few wires had to be extended but not everthing. and i had to wire up the kncok sensor because d-series do not has a knock sensor. i am also running 10w30 mobil 1 syn and using a extended performance fram filter. now for the problem. when i drive the car it feels a little low on power. i did sum research and found v tec in gsr is soppose to kick in at about 4800rpm and mine is not kick in. my friend ran the ecu in his b16 civic and v tec works in his car but not mine. so i started to diag my gsr. first i checked for oil pressure at the back of the block and i got 20 psi at idle and 70-80 at wot. so oil pressure is in spec. obd2 gsr do not come with oil pressure sensor so i did the bypass trick and spliced power wire in to the one wire v tec sol, then i took the other wire and grounded it to the v tec housing. no codes. i checked tps and cts both are fine. i got a rpm signal and mph works. i took the whole v tec assembly off and nothing is clogged. if i supply the v tec sol with 12v it opens up so the solenoid so its good. now heres the messed up part. i connected my DMM to the v tev wire and grouned the neg terminal of my DMM. i put the DMM in my car closed the hood and took it for a drive to see if the solenoid was getting voltage when i was driving. so i hit 4800 on the dot and 13.5 volts are getting to the solenoid. so my educated guess is that all the sensors are fine and everything is wired up correctly if the ecu is going to provide voltage to the v tec sol for it to kick on. now im stumped. the only thing i can think of now is that its a mechanical problem. like not enought oil pressure getting to the head or sumthing and could some fill me in on how to check oil pressure at the head.. i actually was thinking it may be that stupid fram filter but idk. could someone give me some advice .. have u had the same problem and fixed it help plz. AND YES THE OIL LEVEL IS 100% FULL and no dents in the oil pan. no oil leaks. i purchased the motor from japan star he said it had low milage.

the iab works properly. i gave it a constant ground and the uce supplys the power. if i bring it up to 6000rpm i can see the butterflys opens. but its v tec thats not working.

So you've checked:

TPS (engine load)
CTS (temp)
VSS (speed)
RPM
Oil pressure

and the VTEC solenoid is getting the correct Voltage and no codes are thrown.

Have you checked the wiring between the ECU and the VTEC solenoid? you may have a high impeadance so the solenoid may not get enough current to operate or maybe you've got a problem with the coil in the solenoid itself so even though it get voltage there isnt enough current to operate it. Just a thought.

Last edited:
the solenoid gets 13.5 volts but i never thought about current.. when i take the solenoid off and apply 12v i can see the pintle move in and out depending onn wheather i apply voltage or not. but as far as current i havent checked it. does anyone know what the current should be getting to the v tec solenoid? and any tip on how to check oil pressure and the head on a obd2 jdm b18c??

the solenoid gets 13.5 volts but i never thought about current.. when i take the solenoid off and apply 12v i can see the pintle move in and out depending onn wheather i apply voltage or not. but as far as current i havent checked it. does anyone know what the current should be getting to the v tec solenoid? and any tip on how to check oil pressure and the head on a obd2 jdm b18c??

If solenoid works when you apply 13.5V directly to it then the wiring would be the next thing to check, between the ECU and the solenoid, it could also be a bad connector.

The impeadance of the solenoid should be 14-30ohms (on the Z6 I've got, but yours should be similar)...so at 13.5V the current should in the 450mA - 960mA range when activated.

Last edited:
Back