1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSR EG problems/build PLEASE READ :D

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by gearbanger07, Jan 24, 2011.

1. gearbanger07

gearbanger07 New Member

I just typed this post once, then firefox crashed, and now here we are.

Anywhoo- I have a 93 EG Hatchback with an OBD1 GSR swap in it.
    heres a link to teh car
    Pictures by gearbanger07 - Photobucket

As far as I know, and can see, here is what is done to it-

*aftermarkeyt intake manifold (not sure on brand, as it has no stamps or logos)
    *4-1 headers high flow cat and 2.75in cat-back
    *CAI routed out of the front bumper, (on the passenger side it has a port in the bumper) its a KnM "whale penis" with the in-tube-paper/cloth filter
    *MSD Blaster 2
    *MSD Multi-ignition box (not hooked up)
    All of these things are the bolt-ons that I can remember
    I also have no idea if i have internal work or not.

So, heres my bad-
    *leak in head gasket, right above the motor code stamp on the block, not exchanging fluids, just seepage from the block/head
    *there is a hiccup in 5-6k rpm that its going "baahhhhhh bap! bahhhhh" (yes yes i know, just bare with me...) but this is hard to diagnose becauuseeee-
    *It is not running a GSR ECU, somehow it is running off a SOHC D series ECU ( thats how the car came into my driveway, and i am not driving it in the winter so i have not changed it yet.)
    *It sounds like a subaru- this is not all bad. I absolutely love the sound of this thing. But i have read that this is a tall tale sign of a dead cylinder- but it runs too good, and too strong (other than that occasional hiccup i mentioned)
    *I replaced the plugs in it a few weeks before it went into hibernation and found the 2nd cylinders plug had been burning a different color than brown like the rest. (im thinking the whole thing is running rich-wrong ecu, and the back of its covered in black carbon deposit, and consider were counting the cylinder as 1 2 3 4 from tranny side to timing belt side)
    *vtech sometimes falls out in 3rd gear? like it pops, but you can hear it shut off? (And becasue i have that ecu problem to fix yet, this is pending along with the rest of my problems.)
    the good
    *runs good and strong (considering my ecu, and other minor issues im having)
    and thats about all i feel like ttyin to type

i really would like to know some things to do on band-for-buck on n/a build
    and dont tell me to boost, i dont have that much money and id like to keep it running and not a grenade as lon as humanly possible

anyways thanks alot hope to hear from you all sooon

2. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

First of all get the right ecu p72... Second the spark plugs go the other way 4-3-2-1...1 being closest to the timing belt... And they should look like this on the dizzy.. images.jpg

Get that fixed then if it still has a problem come back and let us know..

3. gearbanger07

gearbanger07 New Member

I was just referencing the plugs. Not saying thats the actual order. Well, iim really having a tough time finding one... nobody around here has a p72 or anything i can chip.

4. hondafreak513

hondafreak513 New Member

You can chip any ecu you want for obd1.. You can use a p05, p06, p28 and so on... As long as the ecu is obd1... So just get the one thats in it and get it chipped..

5. boostin4fun

boostin4fun Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

www.hmotorsonline.com can sell you a jdm p72 for $200. I would give them a call. I wouldnt even be running that car hard with the wrong ecu in it. You know it cant being doing anything good for the health of the motor; probably running it lean.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted