gsr engine swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Skydive2144

I have a 95 integra gsr with a B18C1 engine that i want to put into a 94 civic DX. the acura has everything but was in an accident so i am taking it all out. What things would i need to buy that i cant take out of the acura that would get the engine in the civic?

95 integra to 94 civic. . . You only need is a radiator, from a 2000 honda civic Si (b16a2), you can get one from honda for about $150, the integra radiator won't bolt up into the civic unless you modify the radiator support, its just easier to get the radiator.
The engine harness and ecu are plug and play, use the integra axles and shift linkage, run 3 wires for vtec and 1 for IAB, plus 1 for knock sensor.
Change the steering knuckles if you want a quick front brake upgrade.
Change over the subframe, lines and steering rack if you want power steering.
Change over the rear trailing arms if you want rear disc brakes,
Change over the integra seats if you like them better.
Basically the integra and the civic have the same chassis, just the exterior is different. Alot of the parts from an integra will swap into a civic, and alot of people have done all sorts of different things.
If I forgot anything someone will add on, but have fun!

thanks a lot. that was a lot to know. the engine mounts can be taken from the acura and used in the honda right? also, do you know any good websites that go into the process of doing this? thanks a lot.

The mounts on the integra engine are used, yes.
I don't know of a good site that will walk you through the engine swap, if you want I can outline it for you, it may not be exact, but it will be pretty damn close (I have done this swap many times)
I also remembered that you can swap the integra sway bars onto the civic too.

I would really apreciate if you could give me a little outline of the swap. I have never done one before but am confident that i will be able to. thanks a lot.

first you need a good place to do the swap, and the correct tools to handle some of the tasks you need to perform.
An engine hoist is a must, one that goes up quite a ways is going to be easier to work with when pulling the motor out.
step 1 disconnect battery
step 2 disconnect BOTH wires at the underhood fuse block (phillips screwdriver)
remove shift knob
disconnect engine wiring from vehicle, (plugs at shock tower pass side, plugs near clutch resivoir drv. side)
you must remove plugs from their brackets before unplugging them.
disconnect throttle cable from PEDAL, then remove from firewall, do not remove throttle cable from engine.
remove evap hose (top) from throttle body
Relieve fuel pressure by removing fuel cap, then remove banjo bolt (17mm) from fuel filter
remove fuel return line from fuel pressure regulator
drape wires, throttle cable and fuel line over engine so that they aren't flopping around during removal.
remove engine ground at front of engine (on valve cover)
remove power steering pump and power steering pressure line from engine)
remove clutch slave clyinder from transmission (2 bolts 12 mm) then 2 bolts 10 mm from bracket (DO NOT OPEN CLUTCH HYDRAULIC SYSTEM)
Lay clutch slave cylinder off the engine
remove engine ground near slave cylinder bracket (10mm)
The next several steps you will be under or on the side of the vehicle, be cautious working under a vehicle at all times!
raise vehicle and support on jackstands
remove front wheels
remove both axle nuts (1 and 1/4 inch or 32mm)
remove cotter pins from lower ball joints, then remove nuts from lower ball joints
using a pickle fork or suitable ball joint sepatator, separate lower ball joints from lower arms.
using 17mm wrench and 17mm impact, remove nut and bolt that hold bottom of struts to lower arms.
remove driver's side axle using a hammer striking axle end where it meets intermediate shaft.
use a pry bar to remove pass side axle from transmission (tranny fluid may spill)
if you want to drain the tranny fluid prior to removing the axle, then there is a drain on the pass side, below where the axle goes in, it is a 3/8'' square, so you can use a ratchet to get it open.
remove 2 bolts where header meets catylitic converter
remove 2 blots holding shifter assembly to underside of vehicle (12mm) you may need to move exhaust around in order to get at these bolts, you may also have to remove heat shields to get at these bolts.
remove rear engine bracket to rear engine mount bolt (17mm)
Disconnect O2 sensor
drain coolant from engine via petcock pass side radiator
remove lower radiaor hose from radiator
remove 2 bolts each holding front left and front right engine damper mounts to vehicle (the bolts are vertical)
then remove the 2 nuts (17 or 19mm) that hold the dampers to the engine brackets (left and right) and then remove the studs in the brackets (14mm)
remove upper radiator hose
remove heater hoses
now you should have nothing attaching your engine to your vehicle except 2 mounts on on the pass side and one on the drivers side, check to make sure everything is disconnected because I might have forgotten something
secure engine to engine hoist and put weight of engine on the hoist, then remove 17mm bolt on drivers side and 17mm bolt on pass side that attach mounts to vehicle.
you may find it easier to remove the mounts completely form the engine and the tranny prior to hoisting engine out of vehicle, it is pretty straightforward how they come off.
no remove engine from vehicle by jacking engine up and ove radiator support and forward. Be careful of shift linkage as it is a little tricky to maneuver it the way you are going to want it to go.

Last edited:
I prolly forgot some things, if you need pics I may have some of certain things, hopefully this helps you out.
as far as putting the engine into the civic, installation is reverse of removal, get some help with the wiring because I am useless when it comes to wiring stuff
you will use the integra axles in the clivic with the integra engine.
your civic exhaust may not line up with the integra header, you may need to remove the cat from the integra due to o2 sensor positioning.

welfare pretty much listed it all.

The best advise is to get a Helm's manual. This is the OEM honda manual for the car. You can buy this at honda or at helmsinc.com. They're about $60 and will basicly lead you step by step for almost every job. I would recomend getting one for the Integra engine at least. Some say to get one for both the engine and the chassis, but I think that is a little much.

Ok thaks so much for all the help, taking the engine out of the gsr should be just about the same as the dicections you gave me for taking the one out of the civic right? It is not even all the mechanical work i am worried about, it is the wireing. So i leave all the wires in the car, the ones harness that plugs into the honda ecu will plug into the gsr ecu? and then everything that pluged into the honda engine will plug into the gsr engine? and then the only new wires i need to run are to connect the v tech?

B18c1 OEM to 95 Civic Dx

Hi, I have sort of the same problem. But mine is a bit different...I dont know if i could get some advise, Im putting a GSR engine on my DX civic, but im pulling it out of an integra I bought. Basically the parts I need were mentioned up here already.
My questions are: Why wont the radiator on my civic work, and will the radiator from the 2000 civic Si fit directly on my 95 Civic?
Is this the only thing that needs to be purchased in order to complete the swap?
I bought a step by step on how to swap the engine on ebay. Hopefully that will help me.

Just curious on to know what parts other than the ones I can pull out of the integra, I would need.

Also How can I put the D series engine from my civic into the Integra? or dont even bother? ( trying to resale the car when Im done)

first off, you need to use the 2000 civic si radiator, get it from honda, or hondamotorsonline.com, this radiator will bolt right into your civic.
the reason you need to swap the radiator is because the integra uses larger hoses than the stock civic, but only on the radiator side, your heater hoses will be the same size.
if you have the whole integra you just neet to transfer all of the mounts from the integra to the civic, and also use the throttle cable from the integra in the civic.
I wouldn;t bother putting the engine from the civic into the integra, there isn;t a radiator that will bolt in correctly, and would really just be a waste of time.

Thats very helpful. Will I need to buy different hoses for the 2000 Civic Si radiator? or I can use the ones from the 95 civic or Integra?
If so What hoses do I use?

The reason why i ask dumb questions like this one, is because I want everything ready for the swap since the mechanic will only have one day to do it all and he is doing it as a favor. Dont want him having to keep my car in the shop because we couldnt find a hose or a belt.
I will be doing the swap next weekend. Gives me time to gather everything and be ready.

What is the cheapest Integra engine I can pop back into this integra? Then I can sell the car and not just throw away the body of the car.

Thats very helpful. Will I need to buy different hoses for the 2000 Civic Si radiator? or I can use the ones from the 95 civic or Integra?
If so What hoses do I use?

The reason why i ask dumb questions like this one, is because I want everything ready for the swap since the mechanic will only have one day to do it all and he is doing it as a favor. Dont want him having to keep my car in the shop because we couldnt find a hose or a belt.
I will be doing the swap next weekend. Gives me time to gather everything and be ready.

Im very sure you can sell just the shell of the car, there are people all over that want integra shells. I would post it in the for sale section here on hondaswap, or possibly ebay, depending on what you want to get for the car and how complete it is/what condition it is in, it could be worth a grand or more, if the car was originally a gsr it would be worth more than a shell that was an LS.
The cheapest enbgine you could put in it just to sell it would be a b18 ls engine, but it wouldn;t be worth it, you wouldn't get your money back out of it.
how much are you trying to get for the integra, what kind of shape is it in, rust, missing parts, etc?

Also, on top of all of this, why wouldn't you jsut keep the engine in the integra and just drive it? The integra is worth more than a civic.

Ill post pictures tomorrow of the integra, I have done alot of body work on the civic. I got the integra for $1500 a bargain huh. They had put the b18c1 engine in it, the stock engine was sold. Ill do more research on the car and its condition and post it for sale, like you said, just the shell. Makes sense.

well, don't post it for sale here, put it in the for sale section. Good luck. Pm me again if you need any other help.

Back