Gsr Head B16 Block (w/ctr Pistons)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OK i was gonna build a Ls-Vtec motor,but.........
I ended up with a B16 block(w/CTR pistons) and a GSR head. I've heard all kinds of things about matching these 2 up. *1. to high C/R, will need to run race fuel All the time. *2.I will lose HP if I use the GSR head, find a b16 head. *3. Yeah go for it...it will be sick/fast.

I need some Facts please. Has any one done this or should I just stick with my origanl plan and find a LS block?

Also... now I've also come across a ZEX kit...what will nitrous do to this set-up?
This motor will be going into a 92 Civic hatchback...thanx

ok, with the CTR pistons in the B16 you'll have a compression ratio of around 11.6:1. this is safe for 91+ octane, never use anything less. the GSR head is a good head, it does not flow quite as well as the B16 head, but you do get slightly higher compression ratio. I think you'll end up with an 11.8:1 compression ratio, you will be ok on pump gas, but only get 91+. that is a good combo, i wouldn't really stress getting rid of that GSR head, its a good head, just get a skunk2 intake manifold for it and you're all set, that will be a sweet setup :)

Hey bro, I answered this same question on honda-tech.com(hope I dont get "flamed" for saying that).

Anyway I'm not sure if you are the same person but oh well.

You dont need to run race gas with compression that low haha. You will be just fine.

You will actually gain torque and hp with a GSR head because of the smaller compression chamber.

I dont know what you consider "sick fast" but I dont think you will be fast with a B16 block. Your idea with the LS/VTEC setup seems like a good idea.

Hope that helps ya bro.

well, for one, your gain in HP and TQ with the GSR head will not be that great because the most CR increase you'll get is around .2. second, an ls/vtec is not really a great idea unless you already have an LS block and are prepared to dumb a lot of money into it to build it correctly. i have seen some pretty damn slow ls/vtec's before, because they were not built correctly and people cut corners to save cost.

lol

I was going to do a B16 mated with a USDM ITR head on stock B16 internals.(well stock to start with)
also figured I would need to stick w/ a b16 series trans either SiR or CTR for gearing go for the low displacement.
plus if I got a tran with a LSD I would be that much better off.

but everyone said the "Torqless Wunder" would be pointless over at HHU.

what do you guys think?

Well I'm going for it. This motor should last me till the end of the year(i hope).Then I can start on the LS block. Thanx for all your replys :worthy: This is a great board.

Originally posted by 92' ls-vtec@May 4 2003, 10:09 AM
Well I'm going for it. This motor should last me till the end of the year(i hope).Then I can start on the LS block. Thanx for all your replys :worthy: This is a great board.

good luck, let us know how it turns out! i'm considering putting CTR pistons in my block when the time comes.

Back