gsr in eg civic only giving about 50hp????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicguy88

i just put a gsr in my 95 civic ex and finally got it running after a few days. it seems like it is only pushing about 50hp though. i replaced the throttle position sensor because it was busted. then i also replaced the iac because i would not idle right. it idles good now but when driving it sputters and has way less power than a sohc. when i was testing the to see if all the pistons were getting spark i blew out the distributer and it wouldnt even start. so i replaced all the internals of the distributer and it started fine. but, still has the same issue with the power. how ever i was driving and for about a second or two it seemed like it changed sound and took off. then went back to sputtering. it was in second gear and the engine was still cold when that happened. but any ideas on what might be wrong with it would be great

cloged cat that is knda what happen to my si. the sound from my muffler got lower but intake got louder take off your cat then drive it around see if that helps

gsr's can be a bit laggy in low end if the butterfly valves in the intake manifold do not close. they are supposed to open right before vtec kicks in, but if they are open all the time, you will feel a significant loss of power lowend.
There is a small black vacuum canister below the intake manifold which controls that. make sure it hooked up correctly or if it is even there! they sometimes get taken off when doing a swap cause they look like they would be un needed

the valve is that gold thing on the side right? what does it look like when it is closed?

it is inside the intake manifold, and acts the same as your throttle body. it is 4 flaps like that, one for each cylinder runner. if you took your intake manifold off and took it apart into the 2 parts, you can see the butterfly valves

it is opening it changes tone at about 4,500 rpms when the buttery fly kicks in then changes tone again at 5,500 when vtec kicks in

ok, well then that sounds like it is working. i would check the spark plugs, and especially timing. are you running a p72 ecu?

I have a gsr swap and i dont have the butterflys working right now also(always open). But to my knowledge the vtec should engage at 4400 rpm and the secondary butterflys are supposed to open at 6000 rpms. However even with my butterflys open all the time, my car still pulls hard after 6000 rpms for some reason.

Back