gsr motor build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vadersi

I am rebuilding a gsr that is toast, cylinders cleaned up at .010, crank is shot though ,, what are my options as far as cranks go, can I use a ls , and what is the advantage or disadvantage of using different crank,,, I have stock eagle rods adn wisico pistons but if I have to get rid of the rods fro different lenght I will
Thanks

You can use the LS crank.

You'll have to get new main bearings (of course) that match up to the new specs of the crank in the block.

Advantages: Longer stroke = more torque, more displacement
Disadvantages: Longer stroke = worse rod/stroke ratio (not really), lower rev limit (not really)

You do have to use different length rods with the LS crank because it's a longer stroke crankshaft in a block with the same deck height as before.

Originally posted by vadersi@Oct 22 2004, 04:47 PM
I am rebuilding a gsr that is toast, cylinders cleaned up at .010, crank is shot though ,, what are my options as far as cranks go, can I use a ls , and what is the advantage or disadvantage of using different crank,,, I have stock eagle rods adn wisico pistons but if I have to get rid of the rods fro different lenght I will
Thanks
[post=406261]Quoted post[/post]​

What size rods will I need and what will the displacement be.
thankis

Use the LS rods. They should be 137.0mm (or 5.394in), and the displacement will be 1846cc. Just whip out a calculator next time and figure out your dispalcement- it's not hard. You could also calculate your rod size that same way.... since you're using a crank with 1.8mm more stroke, you need a rod that's 0.9mm shorter than the ones you already have- either that or a piston with the wrist pin moved up 0.9mm.

Back