GSR motor w/ 194k miles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

I recently picked up a complete 96 GSR with almost 200k for ridiculously cheap, it burns a little oil so planning on tearing the swap out & doing some mods/upgrades & rebuilding the motor while its out as soon as i get some time. I'm assuming the oil issue is just worn oil rings, it still has good power tho so I'm thinking it probably needs a hone at worst. What else should I be expecting to do while I'm in there, crank/rod bearings, what else?

the most important things to replace other than EVERY gasket would be the crank bearings, rod bearings and of course the piston rings, estimated around 150 - 200 bucks. dont forget the rules of breaking in a rebuilt motor either, Ive seen plenty go down the drain

Do a complete over-haul. Since its going to be out and apart, you might as well throw some higher compression slugs in there. Than rebuild the head with a mild port job and stronger valvetrain, some decent cams and make power.

the motor is going to be boosted when it is done so not looking to go any higher with compression. I am also trying to do this on a pretty tight budget so looking to keep the internals all stock

i'm just looking for advice on bare essentials- rings/bearings/etc

so bare essentials being rings & crank/rod bearings only?

Is there any point in doing the oil pump? I already have a brand new B18C5 oil pump that came with my Si as a spare (he never got around to doing it), do oil pumps go bad?

Planning on doing valve stem seals and possibly valve job while the head's off

I also plan on doing the water pump and timing belt, they were just done like 40-50k ago but its cheap insurance

anything else?

replace all bearings,rings,gaskets,seals,water pump,throw the oil pump in it,hone the cylinders,and you should get arp bolt kit...also if you plan on doing turbo,then dont forget the tune...

Back