GSR OBD1 into 97 Del Sol OBD2a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delslow

I HAVE DONE THE SWAP AND IT WORK FOR THE LONGEST TIME UNTIL I SPUN A ROD BEARING. REBUILT IT WITH SOME ITR PISTONS AND WOW THAT WAS FUN. THESE IS MY SETUP.
97 DEL SOL SI
94 GSR ENGINE TRANNY AND HARNESS OBD1
OBD2A P72 ECU
IT STILL THROWS THE IDIOT LIGHT (CHECK ENGINE). FOUND OUT THE CODES CRANK FLUCTATION SENSOR, AND KNOCK SENSOR, WHICH I HARD WIRED IT TO THE ECU. WORK THAT OUT BUT THE CRANK FLUCTATION SENSOR I DIDN'T FIX THAT BECAUSE THE OBD1 ENGINE HARNESS DOESN'T HAVE ONE. ALOT MORE WORK THAT I DO NOT WANT TO DO.
BUT HERE IS MY PROBLEM THE ECU FUSE IN THE ENGINE BAY IS NOW JUST KEEP POPPING. IT HAPPEN WHEN I WAS JUST DRIVING MY CAR AND THE RPM GAUGE JUST DROPPED AND MPH DID TO. I WAS LOOKING FOR THE PROBLEM, AND STILL HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT. FUNNY THING IS MY ECU IS STILL GOOD. SO WHAT IS MY PROBLEM WITH ALL THIS MESS.

Hey which power wire to the ecu would it be and where will i be able to find a wiring diagram so i can check the resistance on each power wire. Would it be that my ecu is fried and it just blown the fuse.

Let me get this straight....

You've got an OBD1 engine, in a OBD2a car using a OBD2a GSR ecu and you can't figure out why the ecu gives you a check engine light??

Hmmm.....I can't imagine why <MASSIVE SARCASM HERE>

Oh, wait. I know why....

Because a OBD1 engine doesn't have a Crank Angle Sensor!!! HUH!! Imagine that?!?!?!

By the why the crank angle sensor is not the proper term to use it is the crank fluctuation sensor. Yes I know why it is throw a code for that and yes I did know that why before, my question is why am i popping the ecu fuse, not why i have a check engine.

Well you are popping your ECU fuse because there is too much voltage going through it, or have a bad ground. This is a really tough problem to solve. Check any wires you have touched recently. If you nicked one and there is wire touching metal it would pop fuses.

Back