Gsr oil squirters in ls block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killercannible

Hey guys, i just picked up an ls block for a deal with a crank right out of the machine shop. I'm gonna sleeve and go with rods and oversized pistons for boost, but these have nothing to do with my question:D. I know the gsr and type r blocks have the oil squirters for the piston skirts. These would be great for my boosted application so i was wondering if they can be added to an ls block. I figure they will be good for higher rpm applications and that is why they came on gsrs.

You can, but there's no reason to use them if you're going to go big bore with forged pistons and rods. Just get your pistons ceramic coated by a good company (mine were done by Swain Technology) and don't worry about the squirters. With thermal barrier coatings, you won't need the oil to cool your pistons.

The larger bore and longer stroke tend to be incompatible with the oil squirters anyway. My pistons knocked them right off the bottom of the GSR block, so I blocked off the squirters in my engine.

Thanks alot, but i am not going to stroke, stock stroke over sized bore. I wanted to do this because i was worried about frying rings, which prooved to be a good thing to think about since my buddy just fryed the rings on his ls/vtec at 13 pounds with management. We were going down the highway messing with this redneck in his s-10 and at about 7 grand in 4th the power just stopped coming lol. We just looked at eachother like this:huh:. Of course you can guesse what happened, we didn't richen the fuel curve and it leaned out and oops, fryed rings and 60psi in cylinder 4. So i figured these oil squirters might add some added cooling for the rings and landings.

The extra cooling from the oil squirters isn't going to do anything to save your rings if the tuning is bad. Hell, with good tuning you shouldn't have to worry about the rings at all. Like I said- just go with coatings and skip the squirters.

Back