GSR or ITR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xkwzt21

Okay all, I have a '96 Civic LX Automatic, and Im ready to spend the money to put in a GSR swap or an ITR swap. I dont plan on ever boosting my motor and this will be in a daily driver car. Which swap do you all feel i should do, and whats your logic behind your decision. When choosing either motor, was there a better built year. (I.E. the '95 H22 was a better built motor because of the closed deck). I have quotes of the GSR for $3250, and the ITR for $4400. Good prices? or should i try to do some talking and get a better deal?

they are both very good swaps, if you are speaking of JDM swaps then the 98spec JDM ITR would be better, it comes with the ITR header, LSD, and a 4.7 final drive, other then that there is just the obvious difference between the Gsr and the ITR such as the 20 HP difference, the Head is good because its the pr3 casting, making the Intake manifold exchangable with the B16 (not that you want to do this), but the GSR, you have to get an after market manifold if you want to get rid of the runners.

There is no comparing those two really, the ITR motor hands down, US or JDM spec.

If you have the money go for the itr.
Remember that an auto to manual conversion isn't the greatest thing in the world

false.

i know plenty of people personally that have done an auto to manual swap not to mention calesta on here... and no problems

a little more work yes.. but bad... no

isnt the auto to manual swap basically plug and play...the holes are already on the car u just need the pedal assembly and the parts for the clutch. anyways, what year ITR is the best...i heard the '96 is better because it was handmade...what/how do you all feel about it all.

98+ JDM

better final drive ratio (4.785 as opposed to 4.4)
better header (the JDM 4-1 that everyone loves instead of a 4-2-1 like all other hondas have... both have 2.5" collectors)
stronger springs (more reliable at high RPM)

are there any other differences? besides the final drive ratio, is the gearing any different between the 96-97 and the 98+?

gearing is the same

might be other small improvments ... not too sure

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Feb 24 2004, 10:51 PM
are there any other differences? besides the final drive ratio, is the gearing any different between the 96-97 and the 98+?

Another difference is the move to obd 2+, which makes tuning a little harder, but you don't seem like you are looking for an all out race car, so that shouldn't make a difference really. The head on the ITR is worth the price bump if you don't plan on building the motor up yourself, so if you're looking at a fast out of the box motor go ITR, if you plan on replacing everything for a build anyways, my advice is the GSR.

If the 4400 for the ITR is without shipping, then there are better places you can go, try looking at ebay under the name beenbuilt4u. They are selling ITR swaps for 3600 or 3800 for the 98+ spec, and only 195 shipping. They may seem cheap, but I've heard good reports from multiple people so far, and it seems like a good option for anyone. Good luck,

Ian

Back