Gsr redline kicking @ 7200

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hi guys , im new to the site , so sorry if this is in the wrong place......

I just bought a 94 coupe with a 94 jdm b18c......Unfortunately the previous owner is locked up so i dont know how far the mods on the car go ..

MY first dilema is the redline kicks in @ 7200 .I checked the comp out and its a p72, so y is this happening!????????????/

help PORFAVOR

welcome to the site, hopefully we will be able to help
First off, any check engine lights?
if so post back
secondly, I can't remember if it's the vtec or the Iabs that operate at 7200, but it's one or the other, if you have a check engine light that would be the best place to start.

k.. NO i have no check engine light on ..all thats on is srs.. other than that the car idles perfect and nothing lites up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tach could be off...what size wheels/tires?
Lastly, check & see if your check engine light still works. You can check by turning the key to on position. It should light up & turn off.

here we go ..I sopke to the owners mom and she told me she recalls him telling her "car has cams"....

HERE ARE SOME PICS .......

in red are some scratches and i guess porting ???? FILL ME IN im in the blu ..
also with pics will u guys be able o know if the cams are off timing and if those are stock cams...

AGAIN im sorry if these are rhetorical questions???

they look like stock cams, but it's not always easy to tell without looking at them really close, and out of the engine.
as for the scratches/marks you pointed out, that is just tooling marks from the factory, you don't do any porting from there.
as for the timing it looks like the cams are in line with eachother, but that doesn't mean that they are in line with the crankshaft perfectly.
that shouldn't really have anything to do with where the engine redlines out at.
take it to honda so they can run a diagnostic to see if they can somem up with anything because I'm stumped, I have had 3 gsr engines, none of them have ever had any problems like you seem to be having.
If you have access to another p72 ecu I would say hook it up and see if it does the same thing, at least that way you could eliminate the ecu as the problem.

thanx....Its funy cause ive called up HALF OF THE WORLD today and some of my buddies are on the same boat..THey told me they have no idea what it could be ...Tomorow ill be checking the timing on it and im gona try one of my boys (obd1 ecu p30 . i know it wont be the same but his is chipped till bout 9,000...

also the car takes FOREVER TO GET UP THIER ..Like to redline from 2nd to 3rd..OMFG it will take me like a FULLL Block if not more!!!!!

Last edited:
Back