GSR Rods How Much Power?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CrazyAzn

my question is basically what is stated above. I am currently starting up a 2.0L gsr build and im am curious as to how much stock gsr rods can take b4 they break.

My build is going to consist of the following (bottom end):
GSR block sleeved to 84.5
RS machine ITR 11-8-1 compression pistons
ARP rod bolts
ARP main studs
ARP head studs

this isnt the complete build but im wondering if the gsr rods can handle in the neighborhood of 200+ whp. I doubt ill make anymore power than lets say 230-240.

wow, 350?! well i learned something new today. . . but yes arp rod bolts are a forsure thing. thanks

If you're going to spend cash resleeving and getting larger pistons, can you afford another $300 for a set of rods? They're not THAT expensive.

this is also true, i can afford them. its just that i dont wanna spend the money if i dont have to kinda deal. . . that sounds truly asian of me, but ill think things over since the motor wont be done for a few months.

also i was going/thinking about using those RS Itr 84mm pistons, but impretty sure they use a locking wrist pin (?) dont most aftermarket rods utilize a floating design? correct me if i have this backwards im a lil sleepy right now.

Last edited:
CP pistons, Eagle or Probe rods, and call the bottom end good for life. Those will outlast your interest in the car with the power goals you have in mind. If you are only looking for 230whp tops, you don't even have to go with oversized pistons, just stick with some standard or even .020" oversized ITR pistons on the stock gsr rods (ARP rod bolts are only really necessary on LS block geometry - for the p72/p73 geometry, it's really only added insurance), and with a little headwork to the p72 head, you should be able to attain your goals fairly easily. I'd go with a Rocket Motorsports package in the head, as they produce good results, and Robert (aka Rocket) can provide you with a good basemap to tue in Crome or Hondata with. Just my .02

Mike

Back