GSR swap help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DAallday

I have a 1993 acura integra ls. i just bought a 1998 gsr motor. what all do i need to do to get this running?

Yank the old motor out. Drop the new one in (well to put it basically). There are a lot of good write ups on how to swap in a gsr motor. I'd recommend using the search feature. Google is good at finding information on swaps as well. I'd put something like Hondaswap: gsr swap or Hondaswap: B18c swap. You could always just google gsr into Integra ls.

I'd point you in the write direction, but I haven't really done any searching for the best way to put a gsr motor into a Integra ls. If I was you I'd just spend half an hour or more searching for information on how to do the swap.

Other people may end up posting in this thread, some of them will be helpful others will be rude.

Welcome to Hondaswap.

have both engines out
switch harnesses
add vtec and butterflies
do/buy a hydro to cable conversion
use a p28 with a gsr map

i can't use the ls harness? also, can't i use the stock ecu?

i mean the stock gsr ecu

Oh, I don't know, I thought you were asking if you could use the ls ecu, I don't know about using a stock gsr ecu though. I'm still just learning about this stuff, but I can answer more of the basic questions.

alright well this is going into a 93 integra. and the gsr motor is obd2 since it came out of a 1998 gsr. so wouldn't i want to use a obd1 p72 ecu?

Buy a book from autozone. It has info about Honda swaps. It says Honda on the cover and theres a guy swaping in an engine into a Civic (I think).

no he doesnt have to use the obd2 ecu... but one thing hes gonna run into is that the flange on the gsr header wont line up with ls exhaust.. so you'll have to take it to a muffler shop to get it changed

first of all are you gonna keep it cable or are you gonna go hydro if your gonna keep it cable you dont have to buy the cable/hydro conversion tranny mount kit just swap trannys and save your gsr trans for when the cable 1 messes up.use the L bracket that came off your car.i allways use the harness that came in the car.and just wire vtac in its not that hard.on the motor you have to change your injectors and get u can use your stock dist.you have to cut one of the tabs or you can buy a obd1 gsr dist.or u can wire the obd-2 dist plug on your harness.

How can i tell if my distrubitor is obd1 and for a gsr? the dude i bought it from said it is but is there a way i can make sure??

if the dist.has two plugs on it its obd-1 if it has one plug its obd-2 both plugs are grey.if the dist. bolts to the head then your fine

thanks. and then what kind of injectors would i need? and also the distributor doesnt have any plugs on it..

Last edited:
Buy a book from autozone. It has info about Honda swaps. It says Honda on the cover and theres a guy swaping in an engine into a Civic (I think).

I think you're talking about Honda Engine Swaps by Aaron Bonk?

hey ls vtec hes got an obd2 motor doesn't he have to use and obd2 ecu and add a few wires??

Uh...no. You don't need an OBD2 ECU to run an OBD2 motor. In fact, OBD1 ECUs are preferred because they're easier to tune. You just need to use OBD1 accessories on the motor and you'll be fine.

Just a little FYI for delsol88 and/or anyone else reading this thread...

If his car is obd1, and his engine is obd2, he will need to use an obd1 distributor, obd1 engine harness, obd1 vtec manual trans. ecu. If his car has a cable transaxle in it now, he will need to retain his cable transaxle or buy a cable to hydro conversion kit to be able to use a hydraulic transaxle.

It's not a good idea to hack a distributor up to make it work. You will have driveability issues later on. I've seen it 100 times and for the money they spend correcting it, they could've used that for something else.

i still cant tell if my distributor is obd1 or obd2. and also, would a b16 tranny be good for this swap?? or should i stay with the ls. i know b16 has shorter gears but does it make a big difference?

Back