GSR Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Civic1999

I have a 99 honda civic ex with a b16a2 swap in it a i has wanting to go with a gsr swap what will i need to do this swap? Can use some of the b16a2 stuff? Looking to go with 96+ gsr with obd 1 or 2 ? :roll:

why? you already have a good platform to start with in the car. Save yourself the cash and build the a2.

:werd:

but if you must, all you'll need really and truly is the gsr longblock. you can use the b16 tranny (but you shouldnt), and youll have to use the wiring harness that's in there.

oh, and youll have to re-pin your ecu to work with the p72 if you use the integra ecu. you should jus get a jumper and an obd1 ecu.

b16 tranny is fine, just not as good for gasmilage. or you could just get the short block and dump your head on it. the cams arnt as agressive but you get the 1.8L.

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 22 2004, 08:35 PM

you can use the b16 tranny (but you shouldnt), and youll have to use the wiring harness that's in there.

I dissagree, I love my short ratios, and it is perfect with my motor. The only thing I ned is an LS 5th, LSD, and 4.785 final drive.

While I agree, the LS 5th gear would be nice, I have a stock b16a2 and a2 tranny and doing 90 MPH to and from Detroit a few weeks ago I still made 28.xx mpg. LS would probably get you 30-35 mpg.

i got a gsr tranny and i get 35mph so i think the ls would get more.

Originally posted by highperboi@Jan 22 2004, 10:55 PM
i got a gsr tranny and i get 35mph so i think the ls would get more.

You do have a B16a2 right?

i'd suggest going with just a gsr shortblock. buy one with bad rings, put in ITR pistons and bolt that to your b16a head. then...go with cams and mill the head and you'll make 175whp+.

So go with gsr shortblock and use the existing part from the a2 i alredy have? or should i just build the a2 i got? swicth well be more cost effective???? :ph34r:

Personally I'd build the a2 instead of buying a whole new engine and spending the time to swap it.

But if you decide to swap, use chet's suggestion.

Originally posted by civicious@Jan 22 2004, 10:35 PM

but if you must, all you'll need really and truly is the gsr longblock. you can use the b16 tranny (but you shouldnt), and youll have to use the wiring harness that's in there.

oh, and youll have to re-pin your ecu to work with the p72 if you use the integra ecu. you should jus get a jumper and an obd1 ecu.

why not the b16 tranny

A Quaife LSD for the B16 tranny is what? 800 dollars shipped? I'm sure that's cheaper than trying to find an ITR Tranny...ask civicious there...he knows first hand.

greyfades (11:50:19 AM): gsr tranny > b16 tranny
revolution8k (11:50:49 AM): ah well. I'll go buy a quaife LSD for 800 and throw it on my b16 tranny :)
greyfades (11:51:12 AM): lol
greyfades (11:51:24 AM): 800 bucks, plus the price of a b16 tranny
revolution8k (11:51:33 AM): I already have a b16 tranny
greyfades (11:51:36 AM): comes out to teh more than a gsr
greyfades (11:51:40 AM): but that kid on that thread doesnt
revolution8k (11:51:53 AM): yeah, but i was talkin about me in that instance. :)
greyfades (11:51:56 AM): aah
greyfades (11:52:01 AM): pluh
revolution8k (11:52:24 AM): he doesn't have the b16 tranny but he has a b16 in his ex?
greyfades (11:52:28 AM): huh?
revolution8k (11:52:45 AM): the kid in that thread.
greyfades (11:52:48 AM): uh oh........
greyfades (11:52:55 AM): hold on and let me reread his post
greyfades (11:53:02 AM): dammit
revolution8k (11:53:03 AM): he said he had an a2 swap into a 99 EX
greyfades (11:53:07 AM): pwn3d myself again

So now should i go with a lsd in my a2 tranny or just go with a gsr with lsd alredy in ? And I have A 00 SI swap in my 99 EX. :ph34r:

As far as I know the GSR never had an LSD in it, you're thinking of the Type R transmission.

Personally...I would stick with the a2 tranny and get a Quaife LSD.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jan 24 2004, 04:22 PM
As far as I know the GSR never had an LSD in it, you're thinking of the Type R transmission.

Personally...I would stick with the a2 tranny and get a Quaife LSD.

a small number of gsr's did have lsd :)

yeah...i dont know what the fuck i thoght your post said...

just get a quaiffe or a kaaz lsd in your b16 tranny.

and do what chet said.

Back