GSR Tranmission Help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HatchSpeeD

...Hi...
Well, during my engine & transmission tear down I find out my differenial is shot. I could throw in another stock GSR for cheap but I don't know the exact history of it or take this time to upgrade & go LSD. My engine builder seems to have installed a few OBX LSD diff's & said their pretty much an exact copy of quaife's. In doing some research, i've heard a lot of people complaining about the passenger side axles getting stuck & horror stories along with OBX having horrible customer service. Then other guys saying they have had no problems on their 600whp civics for 2 years. Anyone have any suggestions, comments, experiences?
I can't deny the price of the obx vs quaife unit & am not sure I can shell out the $900-$1000 for quaife. I still have to put my car in the body shop. Get suspension, brakes, parts for engine rebuild, exhaust & so on & hopefully have my car done by the summer. Its always something...

PS. Anyone selling a used type r diff LET ME KNOW!

You get what you pay for. Words to live by. Unless you are buying rotas. But obx is garbage. Some people get lucky, but do you really want that kind of confidence in a part you paid good money for? If you get it for free, then go for it. I'd say look for a used quaiffe or ITR LSD.

I have heard that they basicly are copies however the quality control isn't there. Several people have complained about the bolts not being trq down properly and then backing out. If you do decide to go, loctite all the bolts and trq them down to the right specs

i was thinking of getting one when i do my tear down of my tranny and taking it apart completely and just torque'ing and adding loctite like asmallsol said but still if it broke after that it would really suck. oem lsd from acura is around 800 used like 400 so it depends what you want to do.

Quoted post[/post]]
i was thinking of getting one when i do my tear down of my tranny and taking it apart completely and just torque'ing and adding loctite like asmallsol said but still if it broke after that it would really suck. oem lsd from acura is around 800 used like 400 so it depends what you want to do.
I've seen ITR LSDs go for way cheaper than 400 on H-T. You just have to keep an eye out for them. Someone is always trying to get rid of spare stuff.

Back