GSR tranny, need help closing the case.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Crix

I opened up a 98 GSR tranny for inspection. Everything is good. I ran into a problem with getting the c clip to open up to close the case. Its the one on the second countershaft. I have it aligned right with the finger matching the slot inside the case. I just need to know how to open up the c clip to finish closing it all the way. I have snap ring pliers that are universal(external and internal) its not working, or iam using this tool wrong. Can anyone help me out soon?

Open the snap ring and slip it over the end of the shaft, this should allow the case to close but the snapring will still be not in the groove. Stick a couple bolts in, and flip the tranny over and tap it on a phone book or something GENTLY and the shaft should slide up and the snapring will snap into its groove. The biggest thing that holds trannies open I find is the shift fork shafts. If you are having trouble move the shift linkage around with a screwdriver and make sure that tab is lined up inside the case! If you snap ring pliers do not work or are lost or something you can use two small flatheads to hold the snapring open.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Jan 12 2005, 03:57 PM
Open the snap ring and slip it over the end of the shaft, this should allow the case to close but the snapring will still be not in the groove. Stick a couple bolts in, and flip the tranny over and tap it on a phone book or something GENTLY and the shaft should slide up and the snapring will snap into its groove. The biggest thing that holds trannies open I find is the shift fork shafts. If you are having trouble move the shift linkage around with a screwdriver and make sure that tab is lined up inside the case! If you snap ring pliers do not work or are lost or something you can use two small flatheads to hold the snapring open.
[post=444690]Quoted post[/post]​

I do the same thing and it works everytime.

thanks. Never thought about using the shift link.

I hope that you'll think about redoing that seal before installing that tranny. lol.

Back