GSR tranny...or is it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

drpenguin

I just bought a GSR tranny supposedly. but the barcode isnt on it. is there any other way to tell what tranny it is? maybe a stamp or something?

no its not in the car yet. still getting the final pieces.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I just bought a GSR tranny supposedly. but the barcode isnt on it. is there any other way to tell what tranny it is? maybe a stamp or something?

Im not sure otherwise, but sometimes there is a stamp that says S80 or Y80.

That does NOT matter. Just about EVERY B-series hydraulic transmission is either S80 or Y80, and the barcode/stamp/sticker is NOT a reliable way to tell what kind of transmission it is. S80 was stamped on JDM and some USDM ITR's, some CTR's, some JDM Civic SiR's, some USDM GSR's, and USDM LS transmissions. Y80 was stamped on some USDM ITR's, some CTR's, some JDM Civic SiR's, and some USDM GSR's.

You wanna know for sure what kinda transmission you have? Pull the tranny casing off (in case you never have, there are directions here: http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=722416). Set the bottom half of the tranny in front of you with the final drive (where the axles go, pretty much) to the left. From left to right you should see the final drive > countershaft > mainshaft.

There are 2 different things you can do from this point. Either count the number of teeth on the uppermost gear on the countershaft, and the corresponding gear on the mainshaft, and then divide the number of teeth on the countershaft by the number of teeth on the mainshaft. This will give you the gear ratio. If you have an LS, there's gonna be 35 teeth on the mainshaft and 25 teeth on the countershaft, giving you a gear ratio of .714, which is the LS's 5th gear ratio. If you come up with .787, you've got a GSR tranny.

The other thing you can do is count the number of teeth on the final drive gear and it's corresponding gear on the countershaft and then divide the number of teeth on the final drive by the gear on the countershaft to get the final drive ratio. GSR FD = 4.4 LS FD = 4.266

Unless it's a cable-transmissoin GSR/LS. Every single B-series hydraulic-transmission clutch disk/pressure plate/flywheel are EXACTLY the same. The ONLY difference is the input shaft on the cable transmission is a bit smaller than on the hydraulic, so you can't interchange the clutch disk. Other than that, they're the same.

Consequently, the flywheel is exactly the same regardless of cable/hydraulic (cough cough Brian11to1)

Quoted post[/post]]
Unless it's a cable-transmissoin GSR/LS. Every single B-series hydraulic-transmission clutch disk/pressure plate/flywheel are EXACTLY the same. The ONLY difference is the input shaft on the cable transmission is a bit smaller than on the hydraulic, so you can't interchange the clutch disk. Other than that, they're the same.

Consequently, the flywheel is exactly the same regardless of cable/hydraulic (cough cough Brian11to1)
O ya, I had a Exedy stage one clutch kit on my 1992 Integra. The tranny went bad so I swapped it for a 90-91 and found out that I couldn't use the clutch disc from the Exedy kit so I put it all back in the box and used an OEM set for the 90-91 tranny. After I bought my 92 Civic and was swapping my B20 and Si tranny in there I remembered that I had that clutch kit still and went to install it. Wouldn't you know, it fit and I have been using it since. So I came to the understanding that you can use a clutch disc from a 92-93 cable tranny with hydro trannies. It's just that they don't fit on the 90-91 because of an extra tooth (or minus one) on the output shaft.

Back