GSR vs LS block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twotwo

Hello i have a few questions concerning building an all motor monster......would it be better to build up a ls block than a GSR???....im talkin resleeve, pistons, rods the works.......i understand that the ls block will give a little more cc's displacement than the GSR......i plan on overboring to 84mm or 85mm......i also understand that on the gsr block they have pistons squirters and a block girdle.....was wondering if it would be better to have those things on or if they will be removed it i was to build a GSR block???.....thank you and have a nice day!!!

oh yeah almost forgot i will be placing a GSR vtec head on this application.....so any information will be very helpful....thank you....

do you happen to have access to either one of these over the other? whats your budget(do you have a budget)? and how much HP/tq do you want?

have acces to both....and my budget hmmm i dont' want to go all out race or nuttin.....just a very good setup with nice numbers.....i just want to know which will make more power out of the two.......

the gsr will have a broader powerband. since you are building it up, just use the ls crank in the gsr engine. block girdle helps strengthen the bottom end and the oil squirters help cool. you wont need the block girdle if you are going to resleeve to a bigger bore. if its a street car, keep the oil squirters.

will the ls crank work with the GSR??....wha about rods or pistons will i have to get custom ones if i were to use the ls crank???......

Originally posted by twotwo@Jan 1 2004, 08:57 PM
will the ls crank work with the GSR??....wha about rods or pistons will i have to get custom ones if i were to use the ls crank???......

ls crank will fit in gsr, they are both b-series. ls and gsr have same deck height, so when ordering get ls-spec rods. you will have to get 85mm pistons(or whatever size bore you want to use), most piston manufacturers have these sizes.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jan 1 2004, 08:55 PM
just use the ls crank in the gsr engine.

:werd: If your not really on a budget, the gsr is a great choice(very compatible)! Look into a JG head ...go to there website and look at there gains w/ just stock internals and stock comp... www.jgenginedynamics.com ...im pretty sure thats the site name, but look into one of there heads!

22,I built the ls vtec and its effective , im sleeved @ 84mm bore , the displacement
from the ls can help in quicker turbo spool is fact , but if i had to re-build i would
probaly use the c1 block .Is just easier , no oil line crap , and if your boosting
double digets on an built motor youll be smilling no matter wich block you choose.
hope ive helped

v8killer im sorrie to say but i do not plan on boosting with this motor....im goin N/A....

I was under the impression the ls deck height was different than the gsr, but then again I've not really done my research on that one. Just get yourself a crv block if you're going for some real displacement, but the gsr block is gonna last longer for less money.

22, my bad , all motor i guess my vote is for the b20 block @ 12:1 , or 12:5:1
you should still be fine on pump gas (97). Sleeves are not a must here so use
that money for head work ,theres alot of power in the gsr head. proper cams,
valve train , tuning and you should be good for 230-250hp pretty easy . ofcourse
theres alot more bolt ons to support those numbers depending on your budget.
hope this helps.

between the two I would go with the LS bottom, done right it will produce great numbers.

thanks for info guys you really helped but one thing........will i still be able to run the pistons squirters or the block girdle???....or will it not be needed if im building my motor???.....i mean i really want to build the ls block but if the GSR can still have this applications then i would go with it.....im somewhat want a realiable motor......i know i know if ls/vtec done right it will just the same but i just feel like the piston squirters and block girdle thingy gives it a lil more comfort.....thanks guys...

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Jan 1 2004, 09:00 PM-->
@Jan 1 2004, 08:57 PM

ls crank will fit in gsr, they are both b-series. ls and gsr have same deck height, so when ordering get ls-spec rods. you will have to get 85mm pistons(or whatever size bore you want to use), most piston manufacturers have these sizes.

The LS crank does not fit right into the gsr block. Without modification to the gsr main crank journals you will have problems with it. Why would you put a ls crank in a gsr block anyways? After all thats said and done it will still have the rod & stroke ratio of an ls. If you're building it just for daily driving and weekend street racing, us the ls bottom end. A straight ls/vtec compared to a straight gsr with bolt on makes more power. Close to 170whp and 130 lbs/torque, while the gsr will be under 160whp and 122 lbs/torque. I've seen dyno results of both setup.

What about using a GSR block girdle with the LS block/crank?does it bolt right up. I'vw been told yes and no. Anyone?

Originally posted by v8killer@Jan 2 2004, 12:36 PM
22, my bad , all motor i guess my vote is for the b20 block @ 12:1 , or 12:5:1
you should still be fine on pump gas (97). Sleeves are not a must here so use
that money for head work ,theres alot of power in the gsr head. proper cams,
valve train , tuning and you should be good for 230-250hp pretty easy . ofcourse
theres alot more bolt ons to support those numbers depending on your budget.
hope this helps.

You really can't recommend compression acurately with out looking at what cams are going to be used. Compression is directly related to the cam angle ABDC, (dynamic compression). A best guess is either going to result in too litte or too much increase in cranking pressure.

Keep in mind using the B18B/B20 rod/stroke, you are going to alter the piston dwell time, which changes where your powerband is going to naturally occur. In this case, lower than the B18C's would normaly have their powerband.

Back