GSR vs. LS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybrid89

thistownsucks...
Alright, as many of you know already, I am in the middle of building my all motor LS Vtec to put back into my CRX. Here's the situation I am in. The top end is already finished and I have all the parts together for the bottom end as follows:

95 B18B block and crank
LS eagle rods with .25 over CTR pistons
Type R Oil/Water Pump/Greddy Oil relocation kit/oil cooler/etc/etc

heres my problem. I wanted to run a GSR lower block girdle on the LS block. I doesn't fit without using the GSR main caps/windage tray/oil pick up. Now I could just go to Endyn and buy their LS block girdle for $200 and call it a day. But, now the more i think about things, it would be nice to use a GSR block due to it having oil squirters and such. Not to mention it already has the oil passage for the head and no tapping or drilling of either would have to be done since I am already using a 95 GSR head. I know that my LS crank and rods will drop right in and I could use the lower girdle I have. Is it really worth trying to get what will be the 4th block for this project.(2 b18a's that i wasn't happy with the condition and finally the B18B I want to use which is in flawless condition)? money is really not a factor, but I want to definately use the LS crank and rods for a little more torque. what would you do? keep in mind, money has not and will not be spared on this project(to a certain extent).

Well, you already have the block.... why not use it?

The gain, if any, of switching to a gsr block to me wouldn't be worth the money.

as for the girdle- don't even bother. b16s don't have 'em, and they hold 9k all day.

as long as you feed it good gas on a good tune, the cooling properties of the oil passage is pretty unnecessary as well.

I say do the ls block.

and if you aren't happy with that, buy a gsr, and get it sleved to 85mm :)

Originally posted by hybrid89@Feb 11 2004, 03:10 PM
I doesn't fit without using the GSR main caps/windage tray/oil pick up. Now I could just go to Endyn and buy their LS block girdle for $200 and call it a day.

You still need all this stuff if you buy the Endyn girdle...

Originally posted by Calesta+Feb 14 2004, 02:09 AM-->
@Feb 11 2004, 03:10 PM
I doesn't fit without using the GSR main caps/windage tray/oil pick up. Now I could just go to Endyn and buy their LS block girdle for $200 and call it a day.

You still need all this stuff if you buy the Endyn girdle...

how is that. Their site shows a girdle on an ls block. I can't vouch for the windage tray, but nothing looks different to me about the block. In fact the girdle looks to have the center cap "difference" made into it.

matt

Back