GSR with 2000 Si tranny (S4C)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integ808

Hi,

I need some help here. I have a GSR and my trans is about to go. I need help in deciding which trans should I go with, the GSR trans or the 2000 Si trans :unsure: . All I know is the Si trans has similar gears to the type r trans but with no LSD. If I go with the Si trans what kind of results or problem will I be face with. Or should I just stick with the GSR trans.

Thanks!

stick with the SI tranny s4c. i use it in my all motor cars and it runs .3quicker than a gsr tranny. just dont believe the rumors of it having a weak differential, ..-paul

Thanks Paul! That was pretty much the main reason I wasn't sure which tranny to go with. I've heard the S4C tranny was weaker compared to the S80 tranny.
With the S4C tranny, what is your top out speed? Did you actually lose any top end compared with the S80 trans?

Well ive never really topped it out, but i run it to about 113-118 in the 1/4. And topend is way better wit hthe s4c, in one of my cars, I ran 11.9@112 in a built ls/vtec with the s80, switched to the s4c and hit a 11.6@116, just by switching the trannys i gained 4mph and .3 in time... So it was well worth it, and the tranny runs just as new with hard running with 20" slicks, a 6 puck and countless runs in the 1/4..-paul

Anyone else has an opinion on which trans is better for an Integra GSR...
would it be the 2000 Si or the GSR trans?

the si tranny is weaker, but it can easily be fixed by running a quaiffe LSD. As far as traps and all that, tire size plays a HUGE role in this, and frankly, i think 20" slicks are way to small for anything running over mid-13's.

for you, who has not mentioned any times or build other than "teg gsr" i think you're better off running the GSR tranny for the sake of its slightly longer gears which will produce better gas mileage on the highway and that fact that you already killed one GSR tranny.... the slightly weaker si tranny will be hurt even faster (unless it was a previous owners fault?).

If you're after drag- b16
if you're after a street car- gsr

thats my opinion

Thank you pissedoffsol for your opinion, I need all the information I can gather from all the knowledgeable people.
I've bought this car used about a year ago, ever since I owned it the trans doesn't feel smooth like a acura/honda trans should. Sometimes it doesn't go into 3rd when the rpm's are high. At park... once in awhile it doesnt go into 1st or reverse. So I have to get into 2nd and move the car slightly then go back into 1st.
I thought it was my clutch that was causing the problems. I replaced my clutch/flywheel with an Exedy stage 1 clutch and Exedy lighten flywheel. Thinking my trans was fixed I drove it for a couple weeks and was disappointed when the same problem arose.
I've already ordered my Si trans...
Would you suggest that I keep the stock clutch/flywheel in the Si trans?
Or would I have better results replacing it with the Exedy clutch/flywheel?

Greddy exhaust
Akimoto intake
stock GSR rims with 205/50/15

Thanks again!

use the excedy stuff. its better than the oem stuff.
and its def the tranny's synchros, not the clutch

yup the 1.6 tranny differentials are pysically smaller in size as compared to the 1.8's.

Originally posted by integ808@Oct 20 2003, 05:07 AM
At park... once in awhile it doesnt go into 1st or reverse. So I have to get into 2nd and move the car slightly then go back into 1st.

This happens to me too. One time I couldn't get it into first at all, and had to accelerate from a stop in second. :blink:

I did the swap with the s4c tranny on my gsr. It pulls much quicker than my gsr tranny. On the freeway, the rpms runs almost the same when I had my gsr trans.

3000 rpm - 63mph gsr
3000 rpm - 63mph s4c

Actually, I'm pretty happy with the swap. Pulls much harder now. :D

the gearing is great for 1/4 but like B said the actual differential is physcially smaller than the 1.8's

Back