GT 4 Screen shots

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quite impressive! Shows what the EE can do.

Looks great! I hope theres more then just fuel/tire wear

I do wish they showed FMICs.... some of the cars would look so much better with them

for say a GTR with a big open front bumpercover with just black in the middle looks like ass

I head it has over 650 cars, thats crazy shit, I wonder how long they have been workin on this beast

i just looked at all the pics. makes me want the game even more. ive been waiting since february :(. i think the expected release is december.

561066_20040924_screen204.jpg

Fucking... HELL YEAH... bringing back the old school shizz :worthy:

WARNING: GIGANTIC PICTURE AHEAD

I'm having serious trouble beileving these shots are being rendered live on a 300mhz game console. If they are, we're in for a MAJOR treat.

561066_20040924_screen216.jpg

Originally posted by DarkHand@Oct 12 2004, 09:51 PM
WARNING: GIGANTIC PICTURE AHEAD

I'm having serious trouble beileving these shots are being rendered live on a 300mhz game console. If they are, we're in for a MAJOR treat.

BIGASS PIC SNIP
[post=401945]Quoted post[/post]​

Remember, it's not the speed that makes the difference, it's the architecture. The Emotion Engine is a 128 bit RISC processor. It doesn't need to be ub3r fast versus the Intel CISC architecture.

The primary goal of CISC architecture is to complete a task in as few lines of assembly as possible. This is achieved by building processor hardware that is capable of understanding and executing a series of operations. For this particular task, a CISC processor would come prepared with a specific instruction (we'll call it "MULT"). When executed, this instruction loads the two values into separate registers, multiplies the operands in the execution unit, and then stores the product in the appropriate register. Thus, the entire task of multiplying two numbers can be completed with one instruction:

MULT 2:3, 5:2

MULT is what is known as a "complex instruction." It operates directly on the computer's memory banks and does not require the programmer to explicitly call any loading or storing functions. It closely resembles a command in a higher level language. For instance, if we let "a" represent the value of 2:3 and "b" represent the value of 5:2, then this command is identical to the C statement "a = a * b."

One of the primary advantages of this system is that the compiler has to do very little work to translate a high-level language statement into assembly. Because the length of the code is relatively short, very little RAM is required to store instructions. The emphasis is put on building complex instructions directly into the hardware.

RISC processors only use simple instructions that can be executed within one clock cycle. Thus, the "MULT" command described above could be divided into three separate commands: "LOAD," which moves data from the memory bank to a register, "PROD," which finds the product of two operands located within the registers, and "STORE," which moves data from a register to the memory banks. In order to perform the exact series of steps described in the CISC approach, a programmer would need to code four lines of assembly:

LOAD A, 2:3
LOAD B, 5:2
PROD A, B
STORE 2:3, A

At first, this may seem like a much less efficient way of completing the operation. Because there are more lines of code, more RAM is needed to store the assembly level instructions. The compiler must also perform more work to convert a high-level language statement into code of this form.

However, the RISC strategy also brings some very important advantages. Because each instruction requires only one clock cycle to execute, the entire program will execute in approximately the same amount of time as the multi-cycle "MULT" command. These RISC "reduced instructions" require less transistors of hardware space than the complex instructions, leaving more room for general purpose registers. Because all of the instructions execute in a uniform amount of time (i.e. one clock), pipelining is possible.

Separating the "LOAD" and "STORE" instructions actually reduces the amount of work that the computer must perform. After a CISC-style "MULT" command is executed, the processor automatically erases the registers. If one of the operands needs to be used for another computation, the processor must re-load the data from the memory bank into a register. In RISC, the operand will remain in the register until another value is loaded in its place.

:werd:

I actually do understand all that too...

Also remember that the PS2 is only rendering out to 640x480 pixels. You can do all sorts of neato tricks to make stuff look amazing at lower resolutions without using too much computing power.

anyone see the toyota prius???

or the old school pulsar with the square rear hatch?

interesting...

Originally posted by revolution8k@Oct 12 2004, 09:40 PM
561066_20040924_screen204.jpg

Fucking... HELL YEAH... bringing back the old school shizz :worthy:
[post=401939]Quoted post[/post]​

Looks good...Is Civicious driving the red 'vette in the background? :lol:

Yea... I just want to see if the Gen2 GSR makes it... that'd be the shit if it did...

Originally posted by Prowler@Oct 13 2004, 12:12 AM
on this pic you can see how they're just splicing together pictures around a low polygon mountain shape: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/...1_screen003.jpg
pretty easy to make it look good when you're driving 100mph.
[post=402008]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh yeah- easy as pie. Just throw up a bunch of random textures and the irregularities of a normal mountain show up on their own. You're not going to get many people pausing the game just to look at the background rendering.

:lol:

Back