Guess what I got...Guess who has to pay for premium now

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You think you guys have it rough - my car club has 7 WRXs. 2 Blue, 2 black, 2 silver, and one white. Figure I'll need to buy either a red one, or just to spite them - buy an EVO.
:p

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
I just think that many of us have realized the beauty of turbo AWD from the factory. :mrgreen:
:)

Nice car, I second the ECUtek reflash.

What kind of price are we talking here.

I've heard with a vishnu down/up pipe and a reflash it unlocks about 50hp. I already have the blitz catback exhaust on the car. If I ventur into modding it will probably be the suspension/wheels and breather mods with a reflash, anything else is probably beyond my mechanical knowledge and I don't want to be adding or replacing engine components.

It all depends on altitude and other mods.

I started with the Vishnu Stage 0. It was an underdrive crank pulley, uppipe and reflash. Supposedly unlocks 60-ish crank horsepower at sea level. The gains were huge. Boost spools faster, boost builds higher.

Then I got into some piece-by-piece modding, and finally had Shiv do a custom dyno tune when he was here in Colorado. I made 253 corrected whp, and 261 corrected wtq. I'm not entirely sure what that works out to be for crank numbers, but it's got to be easily over 300 in both categories.

The price depends on who's doing the reflashing. Vishnu charges......$650 for the initial flash? That includes the ECUTek license, of course.

Suspension mods are wonderful on this car. Do a rear swaybar and solid endlinks, and you'll notice a difference right away. Springs/struts, polyurethane bushings....this car responds WONDERFULLY to mods. Enjoy. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
Vishnu, pishnu. Get a Cobb AP. Best $600 you'll ever spend.
I would respectfully disagree with this statement. :)

On dyno day, both I and another guy were getting tuned by Vishnu, running bolt-ons with the stock turbo. The guys at the shop said that the two of us made THE HIGHEST numbers they'd ever seen on a WRX running a stock turbo. We were within a few horse and foot-pounds of each other.

It comes down to preference and goals. If you want to be able to inexpensively reflash several times throughout the ownership of the car, at the possible sake of power and/or safety, the AccessPort is the way to go. If you want better power numbers and the simplicity/safety of the stock ECU, at the tradeoff of more expensive reflashes, the ECUTek is the way to go.

All, of course, IMHO. :mrgreen:

Every Subaru owner I know says Cobb is crap. I don't know much about them since they don't make Evo stuff. But, I do have 4 friends with Subaru's and it is the consenus that they are a waste of money. :)

Damn you made that much on your WRX? Are you still on the stock turbo? What kind of dyno? My Evo made 253whp on a mustang dyno. I have flash, mbc and turbo back exhaust. Good torque numbers too. Its too bad Vishu couldn't pay rent to keep them alive. I don't even know where Shiv is doing his tuning now. I guess since he came out with that self tuning xede he doesn't need to tune anymore? haha

The guy who swears the most by the AP put down 255hp to the wheels with an up-pipe,downpipe, catless exhaust, CAI and a front-mount - on the stock injectors, and stock turbo with no problem at all.
From what I've seen, if you have access to a dyno and a tuner - go with reflash, either ECUTek, or Vishnu. If you're like us, and are close to 100 miles away from the nearest (good) dyno, a ROM programmer with preset maps seems a lot more feasible. Gains for a basically stock WRX? Try 227whp with an up-pipe, STI exhaust, and an AEM short-ram.

Granted, this is all at New England elevation on 93 octane, but still.

My $.02

Dynojet, it looks like.

Like I said...I'm very happy with Vishnu and ECUTek. :) I always plug both whenever I get the chance.

I wouldn't say Cobb is "crap", nor a waste of money. As I said, it's good for people wanting to do multiple reflashes while sticking within a budget. Their parts are decent, and their staff is knowledgeable. It's just that....their tunes aren't the best. There are sacrifices with every piece of EM out there. People just need to decide what's best for them.

Quoted post[/post]]
The guy who swears the most by the AP put down 255hp to the wheels with an up-pipe,downpipe, catless exhaust, CAI and a front-mount - on the stock injectors, and stock turbo with no problem at all.
From what I've seen, if you have access to a dyno and a tuner - go with reflash, either ECUTek, or Vishnu. If you're like us, and are close to 100 miles away from the nearest (good) dyno, a ROM programmer with preset maps seems a lot more feasible. Gains for a basically stock WRX? Try 227whp with an up-pipe, STI exhaust, and an AEM short-ram.

Granted, this is all at New England elevation on 93 octane, but still.

My $.02
That's definitely impressive. Really, it comes down to two things: what sort of dyno you're making those numbers on, and who's doing the tuning. The bolt-ons are almost an afterthought - proper tuning is the real key to unlocking the potential with these cars, along with keeping the engine running at safe levels without blowing it up.

Quoted post[/post]]

I already have the precursor to the AP, its the older model.

DOHC, how much am I looking here to get to the stage that you're at? I wouldn't want to take it much further becomes its just not economical at this point, being a full time student and all, who may or may not be driving the car next year.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I already have the precursor to the AP, its the older model.

DOHC, how much am I looking here to get to the stage that you're at? I wouldn't want to take it much further becomes its just not economical at this point, being a full time student and all, who may or may not be driving the car next year.
Good question - I try not to think about the money I've spent. :laugh:

Let me try to add it up. I bought alot of Vishnu parts, which tend to be a little pricier.

Vishnu Stage 0 (ECUtek ECU, uppipe, underdrive pulley) - $1000
Vishnu turboback exhaust (used) - $900
JDM STi intercooler and scoop/splitter (used) - $500 for all of them
Perrin turbo inlet hose - $100
Samco intercooler hoses (used) - $60
Custom tune from Vishnu - $200

Looks like a grand total of $2,760. Yow! :) There are also numerous suspension brake and interior mods that I don't want to think about. :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]

Let me try to add it up. I bought alot of Vishnu parts, which tend to be a little pricier.

Looks like a grand total of $2,760. Yow! :) There are also numerous suspension brake and interior mods that I don't want to think about. :laugh:

Did you do uppipe/downpipe as well?

I hear the vishnu tune is good, but I'll probably stick with the Cobb sinces its already in there. Also I already have the blitz catback, so that cuts out about $1900 of what you spent, making the cost far more reasonable.

Did the STI intercooler make that much of a difference on the stock turbo or do you plan on upgrading and thats why you went with the STI intercooler? Oh yeah, is that TMIC or FMIC?

Thanks a lot for being so helpful. :thankyou:

Sidebar: The guy I just bought the car from, said the leasing company marked the car as paid yesterday but usually takes 2-3days to process bank checks (which is weird, since its a treasure's check and the money should be guaranteed which should equate to no turn around time...) and then they'll send the title out 2 day express. Since I only live 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs away from the leasing company it shouldn't be that long but the title will probably be here by Saturday or Monday which is disappointing because I was psyched to hopefully come home to it today. :cry: Its K-I-L-L-I-N-G me. I'm going to go listen to some Hendrix and armarol the car now.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Did you do uppipe/downpipe as well?

I hear the vishnu tune is good, but I'll probably stick with the Cobb sinces its already in there. Also I already have the blitz catback, so that cuts out about $1900 of what you spent, making the cost far more reasonable.

Did the STI intercooler make that much of a difference on the stock turbo or do you plan on upgrading and thats why you went with the STI intercooler? Oh yeah, is that TMIC or FMIC?

Thanks a lot for being so helpful. :thankyou:

I already listed the uppipe. It's part of Vishnu's Stage 0. :)

The turboback exhaust consists of a downpipe, midpipe (the catted section) and catback. You've probably got a 2.5" catback, which mates up to the rest of the exhaust stream. My turboback is a 3" system. You'll need to get a downpipe that matches the rest of your exhaust stream, if you don't get a full turboback. And I can't remember....do you have an uppipe already? I suspect you do, but you never know.

STi intercoolers are all TMIC - Subaru doesn't do FMIC. It definitely made a difference. It allows you to run slightly higher boost pressure. I don't ever plan on getting an aftermarket turbo big enough to warrant a FMIC. Hell, I'll probably never upgrade the turbo, unless the stocker craps out on me. One of the most common turbo upgrades on our cars is a VF34 - it spools almost as fast as the stocker, and doesn't run out of breath around 5500 rpm like the stocker does. However, it doesn't require a FMIC either - but a bigger TMIC always helps.

Finally got this thing on the road on Friday. I'm absolutely IN LOVE.

I haven't driven, like I'm driving the car now, in I don't know how long. I feel like a 15 year old boy again. The '03 Mustang GT that I used to drive on occasion, isn't even comperable to my WRX.

I immediately took the car for a spirited drive, and getting used to the shifting was a bit weird, it has the momo short shifter kit in the car and all. Launching I'm still not ept at, I don't want to be terribley hard of the drivetrain and just rev the car up and dump the clutch but I was also bogging pretty bad at first. Accidentally, I burned up the clutch a bit when I revved the hell out of the engine before I launched by accident because I wasn't used to the clutch - it grabbed a little further out than I could initially feel.

I will say, I've already taken the car to speeds that should not be reached and killed a Magnum on the highway the other day. The car was still cruising on a long straightaway that had some hills up and down at 120mph.

It feels good, now actually it feels great, to be able to be in 5th gear, going up a hill and only having to blip the gas to accelerate, unlike the underpowered cars that I'm used to driving.

Cliff notes;
I'm in love; love in its most pure and absolute form.

Quoted post[/post]]
I already listed the uppipe. It's part of Vishnu's Stage 0. :)

The turboback exhaust consists of a downpipe, midpipe (the catted section) and catback. You've probably got a 2.5" catback, which mates up to the rest of the exhaust stream. My turboback is a 3" system. You'll need to get a downpipe that matches the rest of your exhaust stream, if you don't get a full turboback. And I can't remember....do you have an uppipe already? I suspect you do, but you never know.

Excuse my ignorance here, but how much of a difference in flow and performance between 2.5inches and 3inches, is there? I assumed the catback was 2.5inch but its actually 3inches.

Its a Blitz Nur 3inch exhaust - http://subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=889
Scroll down on this page as well http://wrsmotorsports.com/category/5/21
You can tell me what you think and if I need an up pipe, down pipe, and cold air intake.

Thanks a lot for all your help. Somehow I think the mod bug is going to bite me and I'm going to be arrested.

Quoted post[/post]]
i cant own a stock car. just cant do it

In my last car, I had been driving 75-80mph typically on the highway and had not seen 100mph in probably a year or so. Yesterday, driving up to Penn State I was doing 85-90mph throughout the entire trip and I spiked to 120mph when I was on a long open straightaway and the coast was clear.

Quoted post[/post]]
You can tell me what you think and if I need an up pipe, down pipe, and cold air intake.

Thanks a lot for all your help. Somehow I think the mod bug is going to bite me and I'm going to be arrested.
Well, like I mentioned....I'm going to guess you've got an uppipe already. If you for some reason don't...DO IT! It's THE first power mod that should be done. It's a pain to do (6-8 hours, usually), but the gains are amazing.

Don't get a cold air intake, unless you plan on getting dyno-tuned for it. The ECU won't like the different MAF readings it will be receiving, and you'll begin to run dangerously lean.

While you don't *need* a downpipe, getting rid of the stocker will improve performance, simply because you're ridding yourself of a cat. I'm a bigger believer in a turboback exhaust (i.e., one exhaust system, designed to work together, rather than a pieced-together system), but do what fits your budget.

There have been plenty of arguments for 2.5" vs. 3", but I think it comes down to wanting a larger exhaust for a turbo system, especially if you plan on upgrading the turbo in the future.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Well, like I mentioned....I'm going to guess you've got an uppipe already. If you for some reason don't...DO IT! It's THE first power mod that should be done. It's a pain to do (6-8 hours, usually), but the gains are amazing.

Don't get a cold air intake, unless you plan on getting dyno-tuned for it. The ECU won't like the different MAF readings it will be receiving, and you'll begin to run dangerously lean.

While you don't *need* a downpipe, getting rid of the stocker will improve performance, simply because you're ridding yourself of a cat. I'm a bigger believer in a turboback exhaust (i.e., one exhaust system, designed to work together, rather than a pieced-together system), but do what fits your budget.

There have been plenty of arguments for 2.5" vs. 3", but I think it comes down to wanting a larger exhaust for a turbo system, especially if you plan on upgrading the turbo in the future.

So all in all whats your opinion of the Blitz Nur 3inch catback exhaust?

An uppipe takes 6-8hours, Jesus tapdancing Christ thats retardedly long.

For the record, I spent atleast 45minutes today, along with a car friend of mine trying to just get the damn colar back onto the momo shift knob in my car. I can't stand a loose shift knob that spins slightly while shifting so I took the colar off to tighten the set screws and once tightened all the way the colar will not go back on, so now its finally back on but still loose. Ughhh

Back