Guitar God.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

so ive seen people do stuff like this before, i still dont understand how you can play with just one hand? like how does just pressing the string down make a note without plucking?

Ah, Beethoven was a genius and so is that guy. I had seen the Mario Bros. one before and still love it to this day. Nice post, Scott. :thumbsup:

i understand what they are doing, i just dont see how it makes the strings vibrate. i mean it still has to vibrate to make a sound right? it would make sense if they were pounding their hands on it, but it looks like they are barely touching it. especially that asian guy

Go to Guitar Center or Sam Ash; turn up the amp and try it.

Also, think of how a piano works.

I've watched almost all of zack kim's videos awhile back.

Watch the dear tiesto one.

a piano uses a hammer to hit the strings with force. it looks like they are barely touching it, i cant imagine how it has enough impact to actually cause a vibration. unless they have the amp turned way up and have super sensitive pickups?. this is where im confused.

have you ever lightly tapped a piano key? still makes a sound.

its very easy to do that. pick up a guitar and turn the amp up a bit and just start pushing down the strings. it makes sound.

piano strings are longer too. making it easier. i mean if it does make a sound just by pressing the strings, why doesnt everyone do it if all you have to do is crank up the amp? sees like it would make playing a single guitar easier lol.

piano strings are longer too. making it easier. i mean if it does make a sound just by pressing the strings, why doesnt everyone do it if all you have to do is crank up the amp? sees like it would make playing a single guitar easier lol.

It's pretty common actually; except most people do it on one guitar instead of two.

Tapping sounds different from finger picking/plucking and such(and it's a bit harder). A good example is Angus Young's in Thunderstruck. A lot of people play it by tapping because it's hard to play fast, but Young himself plucks the strings. If you listen carefully you can hear the difference. If you were to pluck Kim's guitar how he has it setup, it'll probably be really loud.

That guy is most definitely awesome, quality stuff. I wonder if he can let a chord ring out on one and walk a scale on the other... That would be beyond impressive.

GSR, if you are that curious and/or fascinated, I suggest doing what others suggested and pick up an electric guitar. Yeah, cranking the volume up does help you pronounce specific sounds with ease, but there is also a downside to it. There are many of ways to play with all the electronics and know-how today, but all of it takes mastering. There is no "cheat code" to the guitar. There is just too much to explain and too many questions that can be asked on how to make sounds on a guitar =P.

'hammer on' and 'pull off' is the correct term for left-hand (no right hand strum) plucking.

'tapping' is eddie van halen style solos like in eruption

Its not just electrics that people do that with either. On the acoustic side I've heard it called fingerstyle and percussive picking.

This is actually a friend of mine from the town in the mountains I grew up in.
YouTube - Acoustic Guitar - Trace Bundy's Dueling Ninjas - WHOLE SONG

And here is another guy that is good at it, Andy McKee.
YouTube - Andy Mckee - Guitar - Drifting - www.candyrat.com

Back