guitar speed record

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I never said he was a great musician and I would only think he is a great guitarist on the assumption that if you can pick that fast, you probably didn't just practice tremolo picking for a year and nothing else. You and Aleaf should hook up. You both like to get angry and disagree with things.

I never said he was a great musician and I would only think he is a great guitarist on the assumption that if you can pick that fast, you probably didn't just practice tremolo picking for a year and nothing else. You and Aleaf should hook up. You both like to get angry and disagree with things.

The only reason I even posted is because I saw your (collective) oh-so-typical musician shark-feeding. A bunch of (you) get together and attack anyone that disagrees - Citing such shit batshit as "You aren't as talented as us, so your opinion is worthless" without even considering that maybe they DO have a talent in something, maybe they CAN be right, or for shit's sake they have the ability to disagree with your clown ass.

So I stepped in and returned the favor. People need to stop foaming at the mouth and getting into these frenzies.

My name is Celerity, and I approve this message.

God, that shit's old hat. I posted like 2 days ago. I was one of the first people to post in this thread, so, going by your standards, people are disagreeing with me. I could care less if you think I'm wrong. I may not play guitar anymore, but just because it doesn't tickle me pink, doesn't mean that you can act like a child about it. I haven't gotten mad, haven't insulted anyone, and was pretty damn laid back about all this. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. I don't deny that guy's good and that's what you don't seem to get. Get over it.

YouTube - Eruption Guitar Solo--Eddie Van Halen

WIN. sure, its not as fast, but it sounds fucking awesome.. not just "ChchchcfhchchchchchHCHCHCHCHChchchchc"

Eruption is probably my favorite guitar solo of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1wuBFfALs
Another one where he isn't fucking around so much.

PS, I'm with Aleaf. Picking at mach 7 is just a party trick. Nifty, but thats about it.

Last edited:
I love how laypeople always mistake "technical competitions" for "music".

Tell me in what way, shape, or form, does attempting to set a world speed record equate for technique compare to a guitar solo?
Apples = Record.
Oranges = Making actual music.

Absolutely useless you say? Nifty parlor trick you say? Kid can't possibly play music you say? Bullshit I say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EKCFFeSipU

Technical competitions are exactly that, competitions about who has better technique. Musical skill, taste, and application are not part of the equation and unless you actually are a musician you just can't truly appreciate the amount of work that goes into building technique. In 20 years I've literally spent thousands of hours working on playing technique. There's nothing easy or parlor trick-ish about it and saying so takes a lot away from what those musicians accomplish.

I challenge any of you who are knocking this kind of stuff to pick up either a guitar or a set of drum sticks and give it a shot. Only then will you understand how difficult it is. Playing music really isn't as difficult as people think it is. Playing it with good technique is a completely different story.

I'm going to take offence to that post. A world record is a fucking party trick. Give me a fucking break with all this "Technical zomg you wouldn't understand" Bullshit. It a fucking trick. If you pick up a musical insturment and make shitty noise with it, you fucking FAIL. Never once did I say that these people couldn't play real music so stop putting words in my mouth.

You can pick up a big wrench and build a skyscraper, or you can beat someone to death with it. Its all about technique I suppose. Sure, the skyscraper will be an awesome achievement, and beating someone to death with it would just be pointless, but hey, the guy had to hit pretty fucking hard to splatter brain matter all over the damn place, right?

"Laypeople". Get a brain.

This "party trick" as you so ignorantly put it, takes many dedicated years of practice to achieve.

Yes, you are a layperson because you are completely untrained and couldn't play music to save your life. Maybe you should just stop being jealous and actually pick up the musical instrument you've always told yourself you couldn't play? :)
I think it's unfair to say that the reason he's not impressed is because he doesn't know how to play. I can see where you both are coming from but i'm sure you're not 'impressed' with someone like Tyson Gay who set a record time for the 100m race. Sure you can respect what he's accomplished but i'm sure you're not 'impressed' with it either...

Actually, I'm a big fan of the summer Olympics and have been since I was a little kid.

Hell, pick up an instrument and play Mary Had A Little Lamb at 80bpm without getting off tempo
You knew what I meant when I used the Tyson Gay analogy lol :fuckyou:

I can actually do that. I played the violin growing up and we used to 'pizzicato' songs all the time:p but ask me to play the drums and i sound like shit lol.

Actually, I'm a big fan of the summer Olympics and have been since I was a little kid. :)

I'm not saying that anyone has to be impressed with this. I'm saying that there's absolutely no good reason to knock the accomplishment. Knocking the accomplishment by calling it a "nifty party trick" insinuates that it's as easy to do as catching a grape in your mouth. If it's that easy, pick up an instrument and do it. Hell, pick up an instrument and play Mary Had A Little Lamb at 80bpm without getting off tempo. I used to be able to rip Slayer on guitar when I played for 2-3 hours a day, seven days a week. Now, not so much.

My attitude towards people who work for what they achieve is simple. Don't hate, appreciate. :)

+1. except catching grapes is harder than it looks.

I personally consider that much speed unnecessary when actually used in music. But I have total respect for the time and dilligence it took them to get there.

Last edited:
exactly. I give credit when credit is due. But i don't hesitate to give my opinion. I really wish i had more technique. I learned how to play guitar with taborama.com and ac/dc albums. I can't solo worth a crap, but man do i know rhythm. It took me 3 years before i could even learn freebird. So i definitely agree. Technique takes time. But anything worth having is worth working for.

that is true. It's just hard to focus. I've got the pentatonic scale, and i know my way up any major scale. I also know my way around the harmonic minor scale, and i'm sort of good on the blues scale. I just need to practice more. I'm also practicing singing, composing music. But i've been so busy with work and trying to get my lebaron to start. I wish the days were longer.

+1. except catching grapes is harder than it looks.

I personally consider that much speed unnecessary when actually used in music. But I have total respect for the time and dilligence it took them to get there.

Then you are probably not into technical death metal eh?

I'm not too big a fan. The guitarists are amazing, but it's not my thing. I think the closest i get to that is Jason Becker, but that's neoclassical speed metal.

Hit and miss. I like some but not all. Black star's a great one.

Back