GURU's of Electronics.... HELP!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

78civic

I've got a major problem going on with a 88 civc auto 4dr.
Had it sold and the new owner was driving me back from the test drive, and it started to sputter and died right in my driveway..:confused:

Had to give the money back (just on moral principle) and have tried all sorts of things..

SO, checked codes and it was showing crank angle sensor.
Changed out dizzy with my 90 4dr and it showed same..:confused:
put the 88's dizzy in my 90 and the 90 fired right up and ran fine.
Put the 88 back in the 88 and same code..
Went to a yard and picked up a auto ECU for the 88, swapped in and now NO CAS code.. NOW injector code.:confused: (pulled injectors while there) so I changed them.. and then showed CAS code.

GOT frustrated and went to a yard for another harness.
swapped that all in and guess what?.. NOW it's showing a CAS and injection code.

I'm about ready to torch this thing but it's just too nice and need to sell it running correctly.

I'm going today to swap another dizzy and or parts (cas) to see if that helps or changes anything.

I'll be back here later today and check up if there is something that I haven't tried.
And yes. I did check the ground on the T-stat housing.

E

Check the timing. Its possible that you skipped a tooth on the belt or something. The sensors may not be broken, just mis-firing based on ecu vs where the rotation of the engine actually is.

^ That's a good thought. I was on grounds. Does this model have rotational sensors outside the distributor? As in a crank sensor on the crank or cam?

Cuz if it does, there probably lies the answer.

The things use three angular sensors. The TDC is the refeerence for everything or the main ECU clock. Then the other two are for ignition and injectors- separately indexing the timing for each relative to the TDC signal.

Last edited:
You're right B.. It was the timing. When I had it all apart, everything looked nice and tight, and even the tensioner ran smooth.
The spring wasn't over stretched and the guard was still on it but for some reason, it wouldn't hold tension very well.

I pulled the lower gear off and 'wire-wheeled' it and then shot some grey primer on it for a little more 'grab' and it worked!
I tried to set the mechanical timing and it kept popping over the lower gear. And thinking that maybe the cam was seizing in the cam towers, I tried to see if it 'felt' like too much tension to turn the cam. BUT, it's kinda hard to feel with the spring tension on the valves.

BUT, now its' showing a 14 code.? EACV? Is that the valve on the D/S of the intake? I've got a few of those.

SO, We'll see..

Thanks anywho

Huh? WTF?

Are you tightening the idler pulley? How old is the timing belt? Is it stretched? Is it tensioning correctly?

new belt/tensioner, spring looks to be fine..

E

Back