H & R race springs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evilgsr

planning on buying some h and r race springs and the drop is 2.5 inches front and back i believe, i have a 96 gsr and was wondering how low exactly is 2.5 inches and how it would affect a daily driven car/weekend auto x car. I don't want my car "slammed" to the ground scraping over every other speed bump and driveway basically just asking how much a 2.5 inch drop affects daily driving in gsr and will i be able to have the correct camber, ect with that height as long as i have it aligned after installing the springs ...sorry for the ignorance ive never owned a car with any kind of suspension modifications so im pretty in the dark, also wondering about any positive/negative experiences with h&r race springs

H&R makes good springs.....a bit rough for my liking, but great overall. You could also look into Eibach's as well.

In terms of a 2.5" drop.........
Personally I wouldn't go with something that low. Since you didn't say anything about aftermarket shocks, I'm assuming you're going to be installing these springs on your stock shocks too? Not a good idea for these reasons:
1) 2.5" will make your car look DUMPED on stock rims.
2) Rule of thumb with lowering: Any more than 2" = Camber kit.
3) Those springs are way too stiff for a stock shock. Your car will bounce all over the place over normal driving and you will wear out your shocks in a few months.

If you're keeping your stock shocks, than a good spring to go with would be the Eibach Sportline or H&R equivelant. They have a great ride quality, a 1.7-1.8" drop average, and will make your stock shocks last a bit longer. If you want to go with an aftermarket shock as well, then post again and we'll go from there.

Originally posted by adnoh@Nov 12 2004, 09:13 AM
H&R makes good springs.....a bit rough for my liking, but great overall. You could also look into Eibach's as well.

In terms of a 2.5" drop.........
Personally I wouldn't go with something that low. Since you didn't say anything about aftermarket shocks, I'm assuming you're going to be installing these springs on your stock shocks too? Not a good idea for these reasons:
1) 2.5" will make your car look DUMPED on stock rims.
2) Rule of thumb with lowering: Any more than 2" = Camber kit.
3) Those springs are way too stiff for a stock shock. Your car will bounce all over the place over normal driving and you will wear out your shocks in a few months.

If you're keeping your stock shocks, than a good spring to go with would be the Eibach Sportline or H&R equivelant. They have a great ride quality, a 1.7-1.8" drop average, and will make your stock shocks last a bit longer. If you want to go with an aftermarket shock as well, then post again and we'll go from there.
[post=415823]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: Adnoh pretty much just said it all.

First off thank you for the input; well i was planning to go with some adjustable koni yellows, which im not sure if this is true or not but i have heard that they have a ride height adjustment, if so, i was planning to make it a 2 or 1.8 inch drop as opposed to a 2.5, but thats the plan; see i wasn't too attracted to a 2.5 inch drop but i really want these springs for their spring rate and im getting them at a very good price, their coming off a friends civic that got rearended. Well anyways i guess im wondering how much exactly, if any, can the yellows raise my car and what height would be best for a daily driven/weekend auto x car that isn't too high but also doesn't look so low it scrapes everywhere and resembles a ghetto cruiser.
Also i was wondering about kyb agx's but i've heard that they have some reliability issues and im not sure about the ride height adjustment with them. anyways help greatly appreciated

The Koni Yellows are adjustable only in ride stiffness, not height.
If you absolutely must have these H&R springs, then by all means....but you will still have a 2.5" drop if that's what the springs are. You will then need a camber kit to correct any camber/toe issues. This equals more money.

The Koni Sport (yellows) are a fantastic shock. My advice to you would be to match them with a great spring. Now there are a few ways you can go about this decision..... Two basic setups if you will:
1. Koni Sport shocks+Lowering springs (Eibach, H&R ect.)+Anti-roll bar.
2. Koni Sport shocks+Ground control Coilovers+Anti-roll bar.

The first setup will be awesome. Ride stiffness adjustibility+a spring rate matched to your specific car (buy a spring that drops your car no more than 1.9"). The Anti roll bar is key, but if you cant afford one now, then it can wait. Keep in mind a good anti roll bar is probably the best upgrade you can do to your suspention.

The second setup will kick ass. You have ride stiffness and height adjustability and you can custom order a specific spring rate if you want from ground control to futher customise your setup (the commercially available GC's have a spring rate around 280lbs). Ground Control coilovers use Eibach springs similar to those of the sportline series, so ride quality is great. Then, as always, a good anti-roll bar will totally take your GSR to a diffrent level of handling. This would be the setup I would most reccomend.

In terms of other shocks, kyb's are a good street shock, but will not be taken seriously in Auto-X. If you can't afford the Koni Yellows, then you could possibly downgrade to the Toiko Illuminas...but once again, they are a great street shock, but nowhere close to the Koni's.

Cheers.

Good friend of mine here has the H&R springs on a 99 Si with GSR swirlies, and it is fucking LOW as shit. as in, TIRE|FENDER low. Looks pimpshit though, and rides awesome with tokico hp struts.

Back