H22 advice

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pbeam27

My prelude is a 2000 model and it has the H22A4 VTech engine and its semi auto. I was wondering if I swap it to a 5 speed would I have to get another engine or should I get a new engine anyways? Also what type of trans should i get? About how much would the 5 speed swap cost?

Last edited:
vtec_sign.gif

not sure on cost.

you can keep the motor, that would be dumb to swap it out, as it's the highest performing USDM H22 available stock (forsay).

you should just get the trans that the factory offered for the manual version of your lude. look in our reference section to find tranny codes and what not.

i'll be the first, and not the last that says SEARCH! :)

o and what is this semi-auto stuff? it's either automatic or manual. no in between with this car (or most honda's for that matter). forcing your auto to shift when you move the lever does not constitute semi-auto. sorry.

Last edited:
o and what is this semi-auto stuff? it's either automatic or manual. no in between with this car (or most honda's for that matter). forcing your auto to shift when you move the lever does not constitute semi-auto. sorry.

The automatics on the 97-01 Preludes did have a sport shift mode where you can go through the gears manually. It was actually one of the first cheaper sports cars to offer such a system. The only one prior to that was the Porsche 911. Afterwards though, a lot of companies started putting similar systems into their sports cars...

so go with the oem trans or should i go with a jdm one, if there is one? whats the big difference in between the jdm and H22A4, like internals and all?

you will also need an manual ecu to go with that.

you should see if you can use an h2b kit and use a B series trans mission on your H series motor. thats what id try but i dont know if you and do it with a prelude. but ive seen it done to civics and integras.

you should see if you can use an h2b kit and use a B series trans mission on your H series motor. thats what id try but i dont know if you and do it with a prelude. but ive seen it done to civics and integras.

Yeah I'm not sure how well that works on cars that actually came with F/H-series engines stock like the Prelude and Accord. I don't know how it is as far as the positioning of the transmission. It would probably be easier to just stick with an H22 tranny, not to mention less expensive (those H2B adaptor plates cost hella money)...

LSDs are great! deffinatly! aftermarket if you put down much more power than stock figures.

are you saying to go LSD only if puttin out more power or just do it anyways

always opt for an lsd, if you can. if you exceed stock power figures by a decent margin, then you'll benifit from an aftermarket lsd.

Back